LIVINGSTON, NJ — After responding to a call at 57 N. Baums Court on reports of a kitchen fire that was believed to be extinguished, the Livingston Police Department discovered a heavy smoke condition still coming from the home.

According to Chief Christopher Mullin, the fire involved a pan of oil on the cooktop. When the homeowner attempted to quench the fire with a portable fire extinguisher, the fire extended into the range's exhaust hood/vent.

Responding companies reported that there was a visible fire present in the exhaust vent above the ceiling and exhausting out of the vent in the rear of the house. Firefighters opened the wall and ceiling in the area around the cook-top to extinguish the remaining fire and check for additional fire extension, which proved to be negative, according to the chief.

Sign Up for Livingston Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Firefighters vented the house using exhaust fans placed at the front and rear doors of the house. According to the chief, gas and electric to the affected area was secured at their respective shut offs, and the homeowners were notified of the proper steps to take in getting the area repaired.

There were no injuries reported at this incident, and all occupants had already exited the house by the time companies arrived.