Police & Fire

No Injuries In Gambone House Fire on Woodland Avenue

2c3f8cde820a9c81ab54_Photo_Jun_05__9_01_51_PM.jpg
Woodland Avenue was closed from Trooper Road to Brimfield during while rescue crews responded to a house fire. Credits: Melissa S. Treacy
c6c47dec6a46485b8fdc_Photo_Jun_05__9_03_02_PM.jpg
No injuries were reported at the scene, where Hatboro, Lower Providence and Jeffersonville fire companies responded to a smoking HVAC unit. Credits: Melissa S. Treacy
caed69d004b738090497_Photo_Jun_05__9_03_23_PM.jpg
The attic of a home owned by the Gambone family was smoking as an HVAC unit malfunctioned. Credits: Melissa S. Treacy
41a24ef85f393b26cbd4_Photo_Jun_05__9_04_52_PM.jpg
A ladder truck from Lower Providence Fire Department extended to the home's attic to see if a hole was necessary to access the HVAC unit. Credits: Melissa S. Treacy
385f53b6ca8db1361a98_Photo_Jun_05__9_05_30_PM.jpg
Two ladder trucks were at the scene, one from Lower Providence and another from Jeffersonville. Credits: Melissa S. Treacy
fc151458a06bbe1d9f8f_Photo_Jun_05__9_11_54_PM.jpg
Three responding units did not have to use prepared hoses, as the HVAC unit placed in the attic never caught fire with flames, but only smoked. Credits: Melissa S. Treacy
6f753146ad4efb24f467_Photo_Jun_05__9_13_31_PM.jpg
Lower Providence Fire Department was clearing the scene by 9:17 p.m. Credits: Melissa S. Treacy
2d64c159f6c9f7136604_Photo_Jun_05__9_13_56_PM.jpg
ccadf9de6a71e1c702e9_Photo_Jun_05__9_14_06_PM.jpg
Gambones spoke with the Lower Providence Fire Marshall folloiwng the call to discuss their opitons. Credits: Melissa S. Treacy
cdf7f23c3cbfa38651ab_Photo_Jun_05__9_14_16_PM.jpg
Power had been restored by 9:17 p.m. at the Gambone's home, with the power still cut from the air conditioning unit. Credits: Melissa S. Treacy
7d5c73f795dd3ae90d2f_Photo_Jun_05__9_17_25_PM.jpg
2c3f8cde820a9c81ab54_Photo_Jun_05__9_01_51_PM.jpg

At the end of the night, thankfully no one was hurt. Even the family’s dog got out of the house without injury.

Around 8:43 p.m., the Lower Providence Fire Department (LPFD) was called out to a building fire in the area of Clearfield and Woodland Avenue. The property, owned by Susan Gambone, was showing signs of heavy smoke.

“I thought I smelled smoke,” said Sal Gambone, son of the home’s owner. “I came out of my room, and I could not see my hand in front of my face.”

Sign Up for E-News

Reacting quickly, Sal got his mother, Susan and his dog out of the house and called 911. By the time he called his sister-in-law, who had run out for a gallon of milk with her two daughters, fire trucks were already arriving on scene.

LPFD was assisted at the scene by Jeffersonville Fire Department No. 1, as well as the borough of Hatboro Fire Company. Hatboro is one of many local companies called in to assist the LPFD while the Fireman’s Fair is taking place all week long.

“There was smoke visible from the attic,” said LPFD Chief James H. Alexander III. Alexander said an HVAC, located in the attic, had begun to smoke, though at no time were flames visible.

No injuries were reported, according to Alexander.

“All the caller could see was smoke,” he said.

By 9:17 p.m., the units were packing up their gear to leave the scene. Woodland Avenue was closed during the call from Trooper Road to Brimfield, as rescue squads tied hoses, which ended up not being used, to nearby hydrants.

The homeowner's daughter-in-law, Tracy Gambone said she was just glad that she and her girls were not home.

“We ran for milk down to Wawa,” she said. “We were just chit chatting there, when I ran into a girlfriend. Then I get this call that the house is smoking.”

Tracy said she was happy that the house was largely unharmed, as well.

“There was a lot of smoke, and it smells really bad,” she said.

For some time, she feared the responders would have to cut through her roof to access the air conditioning unit.

“There is a trap door above the washer and dryer,” said Tracy of the access point, but the rescue teams could not get through with equipment on. “They just couldn’t fit so they thought they were going to cut a hole in the roof.”

Thankfully after power was cut from the unit, the HVAC quit smoking.

“They turned the lights back on and it was still OK,” said Tracy, citing that she believes the cord to the unit may have been cut directly to stop the smoking.

“I’m just glad my girls were not home, or sleeping,” she said, as the unit is directly above the daughters’ bedroom. She was also glad that her sleeping mother-in-law was awoken by Sal and removed from the home.

“I just can’t imagine what it all could have been,” she said. “I’m glad it was luckily just smoke.”

The house was being aired out by its owners as they decided if they’d stay the night tonight.

“We hope to just air it out,” said Tracy.

Assisting also at the scene were the Lower Providence Police Department and local fire police, directing traffic away from the area. Road were said to be open again by 10 p.m.

TAP Into Another Town's News:

You May Also Be Interested In

Sign Up for E-News

Lower Providence

Upcoming Events

Police Blotter

Press Releases

Columns