MADISON, NJ - The Borough of Madison is now offering a Municipal Identification Program. The program, approved on July 13, by Mayor Conley and the council is available to all Madison residents, 14 years of age and older.
Municipal IDs are issued by local governments and feature a photo of the cardholder, along with other basic identifying information such as address and date of birth. These ID's serve as proof of identify and residency and are also accepted at banks, credit unions, schools, municipal courts and picking up a package. They are not valid for boarding a plane or obtaining a driver's license.
In Madison, the ID card is also a library card. ID holders can now check out books, DVD's and other materials. ID cardholders also have unlimited daily access to the public computers at the Madison Library.
Madison joins Newark, Roselle, Perth Amboy, Paterson, Elizabeth, New Brunswick, Dover, Plainfield, Morristown and Highland Park in offering the ID's.
Although available to all residents of a city, the cards are particularly valuable for undocumented immigrants, the homeless, foster youth, the elderly, formerly incarcerated individuals, and others who may have difficulty obtaining other government-issued ID. According to the borough website, Madison officials will not keep copies of documentation presented when applying for the ID card nor will applicants be asked questions about their immigration status or criminal record.
The fee for a Madison ID card is $15 for a new applicant, $7 for a senior new applicant, child, veteran or disabled resident. A renewal or lost, stolen or damaged card is $15.
The criteria to obtain a Madison ID card is as follows:
- Validation and verification process using a 6-point system (seen below):
- At least four (4) points to prove identity;
- At least two (2) points to prove residency in Madison, NJ;
- Minimum age to apply is 14 years old
All documents must be original copies.
*All proof must be from the past three months and include the applicant’s name and address.
Proof of Residency
- U.S. or Foreign Passport or citizenship papers;
- State of N.J. Motor Vehicles Driver’s License or Identification Card with photo;
- U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident Card;
- Madison ID (Applicants may rely on a current or expired municipal ID card to prove identity to obtain a new one)
- Foreign Consular ID Card with photograph;
- National Identification Card (Must have photo, name, address, DOB, and expiration date);
- U.S. Public Benefits card (EBT, Medicaid, SNAP, etc.);
- Release Letter from Prison / Discharge papers
- U.S. or Foreign military identification card;
- Photo ID issued by an accredited U.S. educational institution;
- U.S. school transcript from high school or post-secondary school;
- Certified Copy of U.S. or Foreign Birth Certificate;
- Proof of a minor enrolled in U.S. public or private school;
- U.S. Employee-Union Identification Card;
- Non-N.J. Driver’s License;
- U.S. Social Security Card;
- Medicare Card
- U.S. Individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) authorization letter;
- Certificate of marriage or dissolution/divorce of, domestic partnership;
- Written verification issued by a family member, church, hospital, health care, social service, or homeless shelter