CHATHAM, NJ - On Jan. 31 at 10:33 a.m., the Chatham Borough Police Department and the Chatham Fire Department responded to 109 Chatham Street on a report of smoke coming from the roof of the house. The smoke condition was reported by a neighbor, who stated that the residents were not home, but there was a dog inside.
The fire department made entry into the home and the dog was corralled and placed in a patrol car to keep warm. The fire was found to be in the walk-in closet of the master bedroom on the second floor. Apparently, a small electric space heater was left on in the closet, which was the ignition source. It is unknown if the heater malfunctioned, a piece of clothing fell on it, or if it was left too close to combustibles. The damage to the home was such that the family was forced to find shelter elsewhere.
Also providing assistance at the scene was the Chatham Emergency Squad, the Chatham Township Fire Department, and the Madison Fire Department.
Report prepared by Kevin O'Shea of the Chatham Borough Police Department