Police & Fire

Chatham Street House Fire Extinguished; Family Dog 'Weasley' Saved

Chatham firefighters break window to release smoke from second-floor closet on Chatham Street Credits: TAP Chatham
86e1ef29f6d8c07a2a91_88927ea1d2d292f80784_DSCN5650.JPG
Chatham firefighters open a hole in the roof at 109 Chatham Street Credits: TAP Chatham
04b3523342d4638c23ed_588c1fa289a8b0f537b3_c5783860a49f6397a21a_ChatTwp.JPG
Chatham Township firefighters used ladder to break second-floor window Credits: TAP Chatham
7f65333b0357dea434d8_bdcc1f3ea7a8586ba228_Weasly.JPG
Family dog "Weasley" was evacuated from the house fire on Chatham Street Credits: TAP Chatham
9547f114d8a78c3db8f2_ef69377d48adafbb5160_hose.JPG
Chatham firefighters use side window to expel water from hose Credits: TAP Chatham
cc36abe89989251108db_c409479ba63237a1ba3d_jAllan.JPG
Chatham Borough Fire Chief Doug Allan talks to homeowner Caitlin Shadek Credits: TAP Chatham
e8803b46fbfa9adbaff6_a356ff7bd1741a07ff45_Nugent.JPG
Walter Nugent, Chatham Borough Fire Marshal Credits: TAP Chatham
b9d970114754f4aba0ff_5c5e8cd0e0caf0ed2f22_DSCN5646.JPG
Ladder was used to break second-floor window of home on Chatham Street Credits: TAP Chatham
6396e4e185a8786c03e2_1416a3439d386240b525_DSCN5648.JPG
Chatham Borough Police Officer Roy George removed the family dog from the kitchen of the smoking house on Chatham Street Credits: TAP Chatham
06677a404b0d7bc4460d_df6648a6d91043503f10_DSCN5649.JPG
Walter Nugent, Chatham Borough Fire Marshal, speaks with homeowner Caitlin Shadek about the fire at 109 Chatham Street Credits: TAP Chatham
86e1ef29f6d8c07a2a91_88927ea1d2d292f80784_DSCN5650.JPG

CHATHAM, NJ - Chatham Township, Chatham Borough and Madison fire departments responded to a second-floor fire at 109 Chatham Street in Chatham borough on Tuesday morning, where a family dog was rescued by police. 

Homeowners Mark and Caitlin Shadek were both at work when the fire was reported by a neighbor. According to Caitlin Shadek, the Chatham couple's two young children were in daycare and only the Labrador/Husky mix "Weasley" was home. 

"No one was hurt and the fire is out," Doug Allan, Chatham Borough Fire Chief, said. "Now comes the investigation into what happened."

Sign Up for E-News

Firefighters broke a second-floor window on the outside of what was described by the homeowner as a "walk-in closet," to let the smoke escape. A single fire hose was carried up the main staircase to extinguish the fire.

Chatham Borough Fire Marshal Walter Nugent and Chatham Borough Police Officer Roy George were the first to respond.

"We went around the back and the fire marshal forced in the door and we got the dog out of the kitchen," George said.

Chatham firefighters survey the scene from the roof of the Chatham Street home

 

TAP Into Another Town's News:

Sign Up for E-News

Madison

Adams Dental Proudly Supports the Madison Area YMCA Annual Banner Program

June 18, 2018

MADISON, NJ - Adams Dental is supporting the banner program of the Madison Area YMCA to help advance their cause.

Donations to the Madison Area YMCA’s Annual Fund go through the Y and directly to members of our community, making it possible for children, families and adults have access to Y programs that improve their lives.  

Donations help ensure that Y membership, ...

AtlantiCast

AtlantiCast: Episode 16

Summer is in the air, and the latest episode of AtlantiCast is ready to help you enjoy some fun outdoors while staying safe! This week’s episode opens with tips for sunscreen usage from Atlantic Health System’s Chief Medical and Academic Officer, Dr. Jan Schwarz-Miller. You’ll also learn about how Atlantic Health System is advancing the future of health care through ...