MADISON, NJ - A little before 6a.m. this morning a garbage truck caught fire in the area of 255 Main Street in Madison shutting down the road and disrupting power for approximately six blocks in each direction including Kings Road Elementary School. 

"Once the CNG lines/tanks were compromised, the truck was completely engulfed. Flames rose 30-40 feet into the air from the CNG leaks and the cab was fully involved. The garbage collection part of the truck was empty.  Once the CNG burned off, firefighters were able to completely extinguish the fire. This garbage truck fire posed an extremely hazardous challenge to Madison Firefighters this morning.  Fortunately they were able to safely bring it under control” said Fire Chief Lou DeRosa.

There were no injuries reported during the event and aid from Florham Park and Chatham fire departments were provided at the scene.  Madison Volunteer Ambulance Corp were also dispatched to standby.

Sign Up for E-News

"Madison Police Department shut down the roadway and NJDOT responded to assist with traffic control," DeRosa added.

The burning garbage truck had electrical and communication wires above and electrical lines completely burned apart causing a power outage in the area and electrical hazards to firefighters.  

"The Madison Electric Department responded quickly to make repairs and restore power in the area. All Fire units were cleared at 8:30am while utility crews remained on the scene to make repairs. East bound traffic on Main Street was shut down from Cross to Seaman Street at 2p.m. for an indefinite period for repairs," said DeRosa.

“This morning garbage truck fire was certainly far from routine and could have had a much different outcome if it wasn't for our well trained response team” said Mayor Conley. “I am very proud of how Madison handled this emergency from the fire fighters getting it under control, to the police handling the traffic and other logistics to the volunteer ambulance crew ready to handle any injuries. And of course our own electric department was quickly on site to restore power. Our residents should be very appreciative of the dedicated staff and volunteers serving Madison.”