MADISON, NJ – The Morris County Mosquito Commission will be spraying in Madison tonight, August 7. ATVs will be spraying in the area of Chateau Theirry Avenue, Belleau Avenue, Windsor Place and all streets within the Madison Commons, announced officials.
Spraying will take place between 5pm and 10pm.
"If everyone would take steps around their own homes to eliminate standing water, it could reduce the number of mosquitoes by many hundreds of thousands, if not millions, where you live,’’ said Morris County Mosquito Division Superintendent Kristian McMorland.
Steps you can take to reduce mosquito populations include:
- At least once a week, empty water from flowerpots, pet food and water dishes, birdbaths, swimming pool covers, buckets, barrels, and cans;
- Check for clogged rain gutters and clean them out;
- Poke holes in trash cans and recycling containers;
- Recycle discarded tires, and remove other items that could collect water;
- Check for containers in places that may be hard to see, such as under bushes or under your home;
- Aerate ornamental pools or stock them with fish like fathead minnows;
- Do not allow water gardens to stagnate;
- Clean and chlorinate swimming pools, including those not in use (mosquitoes may even breed in water that collects on pool covers);
- Dispose of cans, plastic containers, ceramic pots or similar water-holding containers that have accumulated on your property
In addition to the nuisance, mosquitoes also bring the possibility of diseases such as West Nile Virus, Eastern equine and St. Louis encephalitis, which are transmitted through mosquito bites.
For more details on mosquitoes, visit: https://morriscountynj.gov/mosquito/info/
Get your local news delivered to your inbox for FREE each day. Sign up to get all the news as it happens at www.TAPinto.net/enews and follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MadisonTAP/ and on Twitter at @MadisonTAP to get all the news as it happens
Celebrating Something Special? Showcase Your Wedding, Christening, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Graduation, Reunion and MORE on TAPinto Milestones