CHATHAM, NJ - The Chatham Borough Fire Department responded to 114 Center Street at 2:11 a.m. Tuesday for a report of smoke in the basement that turned out to be a working structure fire in the basement that extended to the first floor and attic along the furnace ductwork.

The homeowner and her three sons evacuated the home without injury and were alerted to the fire by a second floor smoke detector.

Chatham Borough Fire Chief Douglas Allan estimates damage to the single-family residence to be in excess of $100,000.

Sign Up for E-News

A total of 40 firefighters were on scene for more than two hours. 

Assisting the Chatham Borough Fire Department were: the Madison FD, the Chatham Township FD, the Florham Park FD, the Green Village FD, the Chatham Emergency Squad and the Chatham Police Department.