Some of my fondest memories with my family were during the summer months when everyone took a break and enjoyed life’s small wonders. This summer, I challenge everyone to take a break and take Girl Scouts’ “Summer Bucket List Challenge.” Whether you are a kid or simply a kid at heart, here are a few fun things you can do to either as a family, or by yourself to relax and create wonderful memories this summer.
10) Have a water balloon fight. There is nothing more refreshing that a splash of cool water on a hot summer day.
9) Sleep in a tent. Pitch a tent, relax under the stars, and look for constellations on a clear night. For those who have small children, pitch a tent on the living room floor and enjoy some fun “ghost” or silly stories.
8) Walk on the beach. There is nothing like a quick trip to beach, the feel of a cool, ocean breeze, and sand between your toes.
7) Visit a state park. (Girl Scouts and the National Parks are partnering for State Park Weekend on July 13 and 14.) See some of our national treasures.
6) Watch a sunrise or sunset. No matter how busy you are with work, or juggling activities, you can still find the time to watch as nature ushers in the start or end of another wonderful summer day.
5) Attend a local sports game. Part of the joy of living in northern New Jersey is the proximity to several cities that host Major and Minor League baseball teams. Many local teams host special family days and have activities just for kids.
4) Go geocaching. Join an outdoor treasure hunting game using a GPS-enabled device. Navigate using GPS coordinates to find a geocache (container) in a hidden location. This fun game will take you to new places you may have never imagined visiting.
3) Visit a botanical garden. You don’t have to have a green thumb to enjoy beautiful flowers. There are several botanical gardens right here in northern New Jersey.
2) Visit a farmer’s market. New Jersey is known as the “Garden State” after all. Chances are good that you can find Jersey tomatoes and fresh corn right in your own hometown.
1) Make a s’more. With summer barbecues and family parties, enjoy this sweet treat that was first made by (you guessed it) - Girl Scouts!
Get out there and check off your favorite things from the Summer Bucket List Challenge! For more ideas for you or your family, visit www.gsnnj.org.