MADISON, NJ - The holiday season is upon us and residents are more than ever trying to save time by purchasing items over the internet and phone and having them shipped directly to their homes. However, having packages left unattended on porches and out in the open could cause an increase in thefts.
The Madison Police Department is reminding residents to not make it easy for thieves to steal your packages.
They are suggesting the following to reduce package thefts:
- Have packages delivered to where you are, not where you are not. Consider having packages delivered to your office or place of employment, instead of your home.
- Use tracking numbers and delivery notifications. Most companies offer this service and can send you a text or email when your package arrives.
- Ask family members, trusted neighbors and friends to accept deliveries on your behalf.
- Request packages to be placed in a less conspicuous spot such as a side door or behind a planter or garbage can.
- See if you can request a specific delivery time when someone is home.
- Install a security camera at your front door.
- Request a signature on delivery if possible.
Lastly, the Madison Police Department asks residents to keep an eye out for suspicious vehicles or people in your neighborhood. To report suspicious activity, call the Madison Police at 973-593-3000.