Police & Fire

Fire Leaves Butcher Family Homeless

00cb69d52472f62de739_faith_fire_1.jpg
A faulty extension cord in a back bedroom was deemed the cause of the fire. Credits: Photos courtesy of Faith Ann Butcher
e856f60aa0a9412bde06_faith_fire_3.jpg
b729b33dd1b56e48c648_faith_fire_2.jpg
00cb69d52472f62de739_faith_fire_1.jpg

MAHOPAC, N.Y. - A fire tore through the home of a well-known Mahopac family Wednesday, June 20, leaving them homeless but unharmed.

The Hilltop Street home of Faith Ann and David Butcher and their four children sustained heavy fire, smoke, heat and water damage. The family was able to escape with their two dogs and a tortoise they were caring for, as well as a laptop and some “important paperwork.”

“It’s only stuff; it can be replaced,” said Faith Ann Butcher, who is chair of the Greater Mahopac-Carmel Chamber of Commerce Board of Trustees, executive director of Community Cares, a press aide for Putnam County government and a member of the Lake Mahopac Rotary Club. “That anything is salvageable is questionable. We have the important paperwork, but it’s kind of soggy right now.”

Sign Up for E-News

Her husband, David, works for J Philip Real Estate.

Butcher, an award-winning journalist and former employee of Halston Media, which owns Mahopac News, said when the fire broke out—after she was sure everyone was safe—her journalistic instincts kicked in and she started taking pictures.

“I know that sounds crazy,” she said. “My house is burning and I’m taking pictures.”

Mahopac Fire Chief Bill Nikisher said the call came in at around 9:40 p.m. and the first firefighters on the scene discovered heavy smoke and flames.

“The flames in the back bedroom had already gone through the roof,” he said. “Everyone was already out of the house. The Carmel PD made sure of it.”

Butcher said three of her four children were home at the time of the blaze.

“The lights were flickering, so we thought something was wrong,” she said. “We got up and saw the flames and got out.”

Nikisher said the Putnam County Fire Cause and Origin Team determined a faulty extension cord in a back bedroom was the cause of the fire.

Nikisher said that more than 50 firefighters were on the scene and had the blaze under control and knocked down within 15 minutes. However, he said, crews remained on the scene until nearly 2 a.m. He said no injuries were reported.

The Butchers had been renting the Hilltop home and are now staying with relatives until they figure out their next move.

“We are absolutely staying in Mahopac,” Butcher said. “The kids are part of the community and we wouldn’t change that.”

The Butchers lost just about everything in the fire and a GoFundMe page has been started to help them get back on their feet. To donate, go to GoFundMe and search for “Butcher family lost everything.”

TAP Into Another Town's News:

You May Also Be Interested In

Sign Up for E-News

Mahopac

America's Pizza Crisis

To me, pizza is the perfect food.

It contains all your major food groups: dairy, vegetables, bread and meat. It needs no alterations, no improvements, no changes. It is perfect in its pristine, glorious incarnation—unless you are in Chicago. I don’t know what the hell that thing is.

But like any good meal, the key to stellar pizza is the recipe and the quality of the ...

Old? Sick? Disabled? Die Broke!

Immediately after passing the $1.5 trillion tax reform bill last December—further enriching the “one-percenters” and exploding the national debt—House Speaker Paul Ryan spoke to a throng of fellow conservative legislators in the U.S. Capitol rotunda as they congratulated themselves on their dubious achievement. 

“House Republicans will aim to cut spending on ...

A (Burnt) Toast to Love and Marriage, on the Rocks

In its first few moments, sitcom-style comedy “Clever Little Lies” grabs audience attention right away, with one of the most revealing wardrobe changes you’ll ever see on stage. It is done modestly but just provocatively enough to elicit vocal appreciation from amused patrons.

The fast-paced play, starring Richard Kline of TV comedy classic “Three’s ...

The Adventures of Superdog

I was always very impressed that my dog could bark on command and come when I called his name, until I read in the newspaper about a dog that saved his owner’s life by calling 9-1-1. Apparently, when his owner had a seizure, the dog pushed a speed-dial button for 9-1-1, barked into the receiver for help, and then opened the door when the responders arrived.

Honestly, though, it’s ...

Upcoming Events

Wed, July 25, 7:30 PM

Carmel Cinema 8, Carmel

Screening: “Suicide: The Ripple Effect”

Health & Wellness

Fri, July 27, 12:00 PM

Putnam County Veterans Memorial Park, Carmel

Putnam County 4-H Fair

Arts & Entertainment Community Calendar Education Food & Drink

Carousel_image_cacd9d489f78ac41874a_2018_july_rabies_flyer

Sat, July 28, 10:00 AM

Hubbard Lodge, Cold Spring

PCDOH Free Rabies Clinic

Health & Wellness