MAHOPAC, N.Y. - The Mahopac parent who is accused of attacking the girls varsity lacrosse coach earlier this year for cutting his daughter from the team will likely go to trial sometime in January, according to his attorney.
Alfonso DiFusco is facing charges of second-degree harassment, a violation, as well as third-degree attempted assault, and fourth-degree criminal mischief, both misdemeanors. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
DiFusco and his attorney, Joseph J. Tock, appeared before Carmel Town Justice Thomas Jacobellis Tuesday, Oct. 27, where it was decided a trial date would be set when the defendant returns to court on Dec. 15.
“[The trial] will probably be sometime in January,” Tock said.
A plea agreement could be reached before the Dec. 15 appearance although Tock said, “the odds are it will go to trial.”
Tock said the district attorney’s office has turned over 12 pages of discovery but has yet to provide a security video from the school’s parking that captured the incident. Tock said he wanted the video prior to the Dec. 15 court appearance.
DiFusco is accused of assaulting varsity girls lacrosse coach Joe Lieto after the coach cut his daughter from the team during tryouts. A witness, who helped break up the March 13 altercation, told Mahopac News that DiFusco blocked Lieto from exiting the Mahopac High School parking lot with his car and then reached into Lieto’s vehicle and punched him and spat on him.
Then Schools Superintendent Dr. Brian Mahoney banned DiFusco indefinitely from all school district properties.
“This incident was an unfortunate event in our community that was due to emotions that ran high,” Tock told Mahopac News back in April.
If convicted, DiFusco could face fines ranging from $500 to $1,000, and 15 days to a year in jail.