NORTH SALEM, N.Y, - Temple Beth Shalom of Mahopac marked its 65th anniversary with a gala celebration at the Salem Golf Club in North Salem on May 6.
The event not only celebrated the temple’s anniversary, but honored members Stev and Patti Bettman and Ron and Marilyn Arsham for their years of dedication, devotion and service. Ron Arsham is a past president and longtime member of its board of trustees. Marilyn is a Hebrew teacher with the temple. Stev Bettman is the current president and Patti is a longtime member and active volunteer and a vital member of the Programming Committee.
Temple Beth Shalom began in 1953 when a small group of dedicated men and women gathered together to organize the Jewish Center of Mahopacs. While seeking a permanent site, it held religious services at local restaurants, clubhouses and a small building on Baldwin Place Road.
In 1955, a site was selected and on Aug. 19, 1957, groundbreaking ceremonies were held with local elected officials and religious and community leaders in attendance. On July 5, 1958, the congregation and guests attended a formal dedication dinner to mark the temple’s official opening.
In 2015, Rabbi Sarah Freidson assumed the role of spiritual leader and became the first female rabbi to assume the leadership of a Conservative synagogue in the lower Hudson Valley. She also became the 18th rabbi to serve Temple Beth Shalom.