NEW YORK, N.Y. – The Mahopac track and field teams placed eighth (girls) and ninth (boys) out of 12 teams in the Northern Counties Championships on Sunday, Jan. 26, at the Armory in New York City.
“We saw a significant growth from last year’s placement where they placed 12th and 11th, respectively,” said Coach Kelley Posch.
On the boys’ side, points were scored by:
• Matt Luongo in the triple jump (third place, 39-09) and long jump (fifth place, 19-06), both of which were personal records.
• The 4x200-meter relay team (Matt Luongo, Chris Evangelista, Nick Ahern and Max Semegran) placed fifth in a season-best time (1:38.06).
On the girls’ side, points were scored by:
• Andrea Jenkins, fourth place in the 300-meter run (44.47), who came close to a school record again but will have one more shot at the Class A meet.
• Maddie McCrosson, sixth place shot put (26-09.75)
• The 4x200-meter relay (Andrea Jenkins, Emma Ranaghan, Fiona Sheeran, Grace Witt) ran a season-best 1:58 to place fifth.
• The 4x400-meter relay (Hailey Pereira, Kiarra Condon, Julia McGrinder, Ilia Arcery) also ran a season-best 4:42 to place fifth.
The team competes next at the Section 1 Class A Championships on Wednesday, Feb. 5, at the Armory.
“We are bringing a much bigger squad this year, especially improving on the girls’ side,” Posch said. “Last year we did not bring any girls to the meet. This year we will bring two individual girls and two girls relays. We will have four individuals and a relay on the boys’ side.”
In addition to the qualifiers, other track and field athletes came within fractions of a second of qualifying (Hailey Pereira, Justin Kumrow, Peter Dorovitsine, Julia McGrinder, Emily Pontillo).
“We hope to see them come back to do so next year,” Posch said. “We continue to be excited by the growth of this team in quality and quantity and we are excited to keep the momentum going into the soon-approaching spring season.”