NEW JERSEY — Although beautiful, especially during the Easter and spring seasons, lilies are poisonous and potentially deadly to cats. All species — and parts — of the plant are considered toxic, including petals, stems, pollen and water in the vase. Even sniffing a lily can be dangerous.

Cats can suffer kidney damage from eating even a small portion of any part of a lily. Seek immediate veterinary care if you suspect your cat has ingested any part of a lily.

Although you won’t be able to fill your home with lilies, if you are a cat owner, there are several safer — and just-as-beautiful — alternatives that are safe for your feline friend, including pansies, hyacinths, mums, tulips and orchids.