MILLBURN, NJ - A search of the directories at the Millburn-Short Hills Historical Society museum tells us that Kings Super Markets has been part of the fabric of life of Millburn-Short Hills since the 1930s.
The first Millburn location for Kings seems to have been 351 Millburn Ave., the site now home to Flywheel. In the 1943 Millburn Theater photo here, shared by resident John Murray, the words "Kings Mart" can be seen reflected in the windows (under the awnings) to the right of the theater, when Kings was at that Millburn Avenue location.
Based upon information about the history of the Federal Match Corp., sometime in the 1930s or 1940s Kings gave away matches made by Federal Match. The address on the matchbook cover, also seen here, seems to be wrong. There is no record of Kings ever having been at 321 Millburn Ave.
The clip here of the Kings ad is from the 1938 Item.
In the 1950s, Kings closed the 351 Millburn Ave. store, reopening at 512-520 Millburn Ave. in the 1960s. Today it is at 778 Morris Turnpike.