Beware of Chocolate Poisoning During the Holidays

08b3ca32849afe73b6f6_dog_chocolate.jpg
08b3ca32849afe73b6f6_dog_chocolate.jpg

A recent study published in the British journal Vet Record found that in the U.K., dogs were more than four times as likely to have chocolate poisoning during the Christmas holidays than any other time of the year. The exposure was most often from eating chocolate bars or gift boxes, but also cake, liqueurs, Santa figures, and tree decorations. In the U.S., peaks in chocolate poisoning in dogs are also seen around Valentine’s Day and Halloween.

Journal article: http://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/181/25/684.full

Summary: https://medlineplus.gov/news/fullstory_170555.html

Sign Up for E-News

Use this news

So, why is this article about dogs in Health News You Can Use? Because our dogs are the four legged members of our families, they are our fur babies and we care as much about their health as we do our own.

The problem with chocolate is that it contains theobromine, a substance similar to caffeine. Our bodies break this down relatively quickly, but  dogs don’t which is what causes the problem. Symptoms usually starts within 6-12 hours after the dog has ingested chocolate and include the following:

  • increased thirst
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • abdominal bloating
  • restlessness

If not treated early, more serious symptoms involving the nervous system occur such as difficulty walking, tremors, and seizures. The cardiovascular system is also affected with changes in blood pressure – it either goes very high or drops low, changes in heart rate – it either gets very fast or very slow, and the rhythm becomes irregular. Difficulty breathing and fever can also occur.

The higher the percent of chocolate (milk chocolate, sweetened chocolate, semi-sweet, baker’s chocolate) the greater the amount of theobromine. Unsweetened baker’s cocoa powder is the most toxic with many times the amount of theobromine than milk chocolate. While it may take 8-9 ounces of milk chocolate to make a 50 pound dog sick, it only takes one ounce of baker’s chocolate.

There are a few ways to treat chocolate poisoning, depending on how soon after the dog ate it he/she is seen by the vet. With the aim of getting any chocolate remaining in the stomach out before it can be absorbed into the blood, medications are used to induce vomiting or the stomach is pumped. (Merck Manual – Veterinary Manual, 2016). Activated charcoal is also used to help prevent absorption of any chocolate in the stomach and/or intestines.

If your dog does eat chocolate, don’t panic, but do act quickly by taking the following steps:

1. Call your vet

2. If the dog doesn’t start vomiting on his own, your vet will probably instruct you to give him hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting – check with your vet about how much as it’s based on your dog’s weight.

3. If your vet is not available, call Pet Poison Control - 855-213-6680 or the nearest 24 hour animal hospital.           

The most important thing we can do to protect our dogs from chocolate poisoning is to prevent it in the first place.

  • Keep all chocolate away from your dog and out of her reach on counters, tables and in purses left open on the floor. This includes chocolate bars, baking cocoa, chocolate milk/hot cocoa mix and cake.
  • Do not use chocolate tree ornaments.
  • Avoid putting chocolate in Christmas stockings that are within the dog's reach.
  • Avoid giving small children chocolate when there is a dog around.
  • Teach your dog the “leave it” command in case she goes after chocolate that has fallen on the ground.


Bottom line, the only kind of chocolate your dog should be around is a Chocolate Lab! (Couldn’t resist).

For more information

Chocolate toxicity meter
https://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

Merck Manual - Veterinary Manual
Chocolate
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/toxicology/food-hazards/chocolate

American Kennel Club
What to do if your dog eats chocolate?
http://www.akc.org/content/health/articles/what-to-do-if-your-dog-ate-chocolate/

Interdisciplinary Toxicology
Some foods toxic for pets
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2984110/

 

Joanna Hayden, PhD, CHES is the principal of Associates for Health Education and Behavior, LLC, in Sparta, a practice focused on improving health through education. Her office offers individual and group health education, and individual health behavior change guidance.  For more information please see www.associatesforhealth.com  To contact Dr. Hayden, email her atjoanna@associatesforhealth.com

The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.

TAP Into Another Town's News:

You May Also Be Interested In

Sign Up for E-News

Millburn/Short Hills

Millburn Recreation Accepting Memberships for Pool, Tennis and Golf

February 19, 2018

MILLBURN, NJ - The Millburn Township Recreation Department announced that it is accepting memberships for the township pool, tennis and golf facilities. The memberships are available to all Millburn Township residents and the applications are available online.

The membership application can be accessed at http://www.twp.millburn.nj.us/DocumentCenter/View/3258 or go ...

Letter to the Editor: New Jersey’s Out-of-Network Bill is a Huge Blow to the Middle-Class

April 8, 2018

As Trenton currently looks to balance the budget, once again it’s our state’s hardest working citizens who will be left holding the bag. This time, though, it will be the hardworking office and ancillary staff from our small business private medical practices.  A bill called “The Out-of-Network Consumer Protection Bill” A-2039/S-485 looks poised to make ...

Upcoming Events

Carousel_image_a94209220b7af2f9b4b9_7ba9f48b6accba8b6e72_29354610_1585682268146667_4091748840029675392_o-2

Thu, April 26, 11:00 AM

Bow Tie Cinema , Millburn

Encore Presentation of the 2018 Millburn Film Fest

Carousel_image_796236dd7f1f30c2102d_mail_attachment

Thu, April 26, 6:30 PM

Millburn High School Gym, Millburn

Millburn Art Celebration Thrusday: “Millburn ...

Carousel_image_4f4a965f87cea6c2c98d_304355486b5262e58a28_picture1

Fri, April 27, 6:00 PM

Millburn Township Fire HQ, Millburn

Millburn Firefighters Host Cook-off for Brain ...

Carousel_image_d7fe4e7419407abe52b3_c0e7c42c751f9d064b24_img_2356

Fri, April 27, 7:00 PM

Millburn Middle School, Millburn

MMS: Shrek The Musical

Vote for Millburn's Own Powdered Elephants "Monster" Today

April 25, 2018

Vote for Millburn's Own Powdered Elephants "Monster" Today

GO NOW AND VOTE ONLINE! http://shoutdowndrugs.com/contestants/profile/303/

This is the last day to help Millburn students by voting for the drug-prevention song written by three of our high school juniors, Kyle Farscht, Danielle Benna, & Jessica Yeager. You can vote as often as you like. Voting ends April ...

Millburn Recreation Pool, Golf & Tennis Memberships

The Millburn Recreation Department is accepting Online and mail in registration for Pool, Golf & Tennis memberships.  Registrations are restricted to Township residents except for a limited number of employed in town and non-resident memberships for the Par 3 Golf Course.  Those who register for the pool by May 1st are provided six free pool guest passes per family or 3 free pool ...

Millburn Firefighters Host Cook-off to Benefit Opportunity Project

Millburn Firefighters Host Cook-off for Brain Injury 

The Millburn Police Department accepted the challenge made by the Millburn Fire Department to cook the ultimate slider in a Cook-off to raise funds for Opportunity Project, a local non-profit that assists individuals recovering from brain injury. 

 Firefighter Dave Hammond, who has taken home the prize in various cooking ...