MILLBURN, NJ - Do 1 Thing Goal For October: Be able to safely meet your basic needs during an electrical outage.
We count on electricity for heat, food, and medical needs. Many gas appliances even need electricity to run. A power outage is an emergency that often follows another emergency—like a hurricane, tornado, or winter storm. That makes it even more important to be prepared in advance.
Power Outage Safety
- Discard food if the temperature in your refrigerator exceeds 40 degrees for more than 2 hours.
- Stay away from downed power lines and anything they are in contact with such as fences or buildings.
- Never drive over downed power lines; they may be energized.
- Never use charcoal or gas grills inside a structure. You may be overcome by carbon monoxide.
- If you must use candles, be sure to use them safely. Never leave candles burning unattended.
Do 1 Thing is a 12-month program that makes it easy for you to prepare yourself, your family, and your community for emergencies or disasters.
Being prepared for disasters and emergencies can seem like a big job. Many people don’t know where to start, so they never start at all. With Do 1 Thing you can take small steps that make a big difference in an emergency. Be sure to SIGN UP for their free program to help get started on being prepared!