Essex County Executive Joseph N. DiVincenzo, Jr. announced several initiatives being taking because of the blizzard on Monday, January 26 and Tuesday, January 27. Weather forecasts call for the storm to bring over a foot of snow to the area.
“The blizzard that is coming to our area is forecasted to bring over a foot of snow. To maximize the safety or our residents and assist with the storm clean up, we will be closing some of our facilities or suspending services during the storm,” DiVincenzo said. “Most importantly, we want our residents to be safe and only travel outdoors if it is necessary,” he added.
County facilities that will be closed or services suspended are as follows:
· Essex County Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs: Turtle Back Zoo and Codey Arena are closed on Monday, January 26 and Tuesday, January 27. All senior buildings and congregate meal sites in the parks closed at 1 p.m. on Monday, January 26 and will be closed on Tuesday, January 27 and Wednesday, January 28. All park roads will close at 5 p.m. on Monday, January 26 and will be closed on Tuesday, January 27. The Deer Management Program in South Mountain Reservation has been cancelled on Tuesday, January 27.
· Essex County Vocational Technical School District: Dismissal was at 12:45 p.m. on Monday, January 26 and schools will be closed on Tuesday, January 27.
· Essex County Correctional Facility: There is no visitation scheduled on Monday, January 26th and Tuesday, January 27th.
· Essex County Juvenile Detention Facility: There is no visitation scheduled on Monday, January 26th and Tuesday, January 27th.
· Essex County Hospital Center: It is suggested that family and friends visit patients on a different day.
· Essex County Special Transportation System: Buses stopped running at 1 p.m. on Monday, January 26th and will not operate on Tuesday, January 27th.
· Essex County WAVE and JARC Transportation Services: The last WAVE buses will stop running at 2:30 p.m. on Monday, January 26th. JARC buses will maintain their 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. pick up schedules on Monday, January 26th unless NJ Transit cancels its services. Night Owl transportation services are cancelled on Monday, January 26th. On Tuesday, January 27th, WAVE and JARC services are cancelled; a determination on Night Owl services will be made at a later time.
All other County offices will be open.
The County Executive and Sheriff Armando Fontoura issued a snow emergency would be in effect from Monday, January 26th at 4 p.m. to Wednesday, January 28th at 9 a.m. DiVincenzo and Fontoura are asking motorists to avoid parking their vehicles on county roadways so Public Works crews can remove snow and spread salt more efficiently.
DiVincenzo also reminded property owners and residents to help maximize public safety by not shoveling or plowing snow from their private properties onto county roadways. Snow removed from sidewalks, driveways and parking lots should be kept on-site.