So you want to get out of your house and hit the 2018 New Jersey State Fair Sussex County Farm & Horse Show, but you can’t afford a hit to your wallet? Team Nest Builder offers these helpful tips for taming your spend:
There’s loads of admission savings--just plan for your day!
- Are you a veteran or active in the military? Show your ID for free admission!
- Children ages 6-12 years enter for $5. Tuesday, August 7th (regular price: $6.)
- Sussex County residents with ID receive discounted admission on Wednesday, August 8th: Adults $9.; Children/seniors $5.
- Live outside of Sussex County? Buy your tickets online at njstatefair.org/html/tickets.cfm and save $5 on adult tickets. Out-of-county seniors save $5 online. Tickets are good for any one day. Just check the cutoff date under ticket information.
- Seniors 60+ receive $4. Admission on Thursday, August 9th (regular price: $5.)
- Wait until 8:30 pm when adult admission decreases from the regular price of $14. to only $10.
- Hold out until Sunday, August 12th for “Last Blast”: Adult admission $8., children/seniors FREE!
If you believe paying for carnival rides by the ticket saves money, think again! Kiddie rides start at 3 tickets and the Spectaculars are 5 tickets. Consider ticket prices:
- 1 ticket = $1.50
- 10 tickets = $11
- 22 tickets = $21
- 55 tickets = $51
If one person rides just 4 Spectacular rides, that’s 20 tickets, or $22. And let’s face it, who wants to go all the way to the fair for just 4 rides? Better idea? Buy a Pay One Price Ride Bracelet in the Carnival area for just $25. And ride all you want! The Pay One Price Ride Bracelet is available as follows:
- Monday, August 6, Noon-close, $25
- Tuesday, August 7, Noon-6pm, $25
- Wednesday, August 8, Noon-6pm, $25
- Thursday, August 9, Noon-6pm, $25
- Sunday, August 12, 11am-5pm, $25
Alligators and Dancing and Dolls, Oh My!
There’s loads of FREE fun (after admission) to be had at the fair every day! Check it out:
- Pig racing (11am, 2pm and 5:15pm except Sunday), a live alligator show (3pm/6pm except Sunday when only 3pm) and a petting zoo at the Ronetco Family Entertainment Center
- Art exhibits in the Richards Building (this year, Art in Sussex County focused on the theme of water.)
- Snook Museum displays of early farm machinery, country store, weavers, woodworkers and blacksmith at work
- 4-H Shotwell Educational Exhibit Hall displaying items made by 4-H club members including crafts, artwork, photography, fashion, vegetables and shooting targets
- 2pm Tractor parade in the Agriculture Area
- Cow milking in the milking parlor (check clock posted on barn for times)
- Over 2000 animals including horses, oxen, rabbits, cavy, cows, goats, swine, cats, alpacas, poultry and sheep.
And here’s a few FREE highlights for the coming week:
Monday, August 6th:
- Meet the Sussex County Miners Mascot and participate in children’s activities in the Ernie Kosa County Building from noon-3pm.
- Kitty Kat Kidz Club 10th Annual Cat Show from 1-2:30pm in the 4-H Shotwell Building including audience participation in voting for the costume class and the cat that performs the most tricks
Tuesday, August 7th:
- Rooster Crowing Contest at noon in the Agriculture area
- Meet the Queen of the Fair in Founders Park noon-1:30pm
- 10th Annual Favorite Doll Look-Alike Fashion Show & Contest 5-6pm in the Mattress Firm Performing Arts Tent
Wednesday, August 8th:
- Bicycle Stunt Show in the Ronetco Supermarkets Family Entertainment Area at 2:30pm and 5:30pm followed by fire spinners after 6pm
- Farm Follies in the livestock pavilion--games for children and a Ladies’ Skillet Toss 7-9pm (register online)
Thursday, August 9th:
- Kittatiny Valley State Park offers butterfly activities in the Ernie Kosa County Building from noon-3pm
- 39th Annual Polish Night and Dance Contest with The John Stevens Doubleshot Polka Band, 7:30pm-9:30pm in the Mattress Firm Performing Arts Tent
Friday, August 8th
- Space Farms presentation on handling big snakes, in the Ernie Kosa County Building from noon-3pm
- 4H Poultry Costume Contest in the Shotwell 4-H Building from 5-7pm
Saturday, August 11th:
- Tractor Pulls in the Franklin Sussex Automall Outdoor Entertainment Area at 10am and 7pm
- Folk rock band Mason Jar Rebellion and country bluegrass band Whiskey Rebellion concert 7pm at the Livestock Pavilion
Sunday, August 12th:
- Animal Encounter Show in the Ronetco Supermarkets Family Entertainment Area at 12:45pm and 3:45pm
The Fair is located at the Sussex County Fairgrounds, 37 Plains Road, Augusta. It's open 10am-10pm through Saturday, August 11; and 10am-5pm on Sunday, August 12th, 2018. For more information, visit www.njstatefair.org. And have a blast on a budget at the fair!
Liked this article? Check out our blog for loads of helpful information on real estate, home improvement and community events!
Additional sources: NJ Herald, http://njstatefair.org