MILLBURN TOWNSHIP PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Millburn, New Jersey
* * AGENDA* *
Millburn Township Board of Education Monday, August 28, 2017
7:45 PM – HIGH SCHOOL MEDIA CENTER
A. CALL TO ORDER
B. SILENT COUNT OF BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT
C. ANNOUNCEMENT OF MEETING NOTICE
On May 26, 2017, a notice of this meeting was transmitted to the Board of Education and a copy of the notice was posted at the Education Center bulletin board. Copies were also transmitted to the Millburn-Short Hills Item, the Star-Ledger, the Millburn-Short Hills Independent Press, TAP-Millburn Short Hills, TV-36, the Township Clerk and members of the Township Committee, the Presidents of the PTO and Civic Associations, and the Public Library.
1. Minutes of the Regular Public Meeting of, July 24, 2017
2. Minutes of the Closed Meeting of July 24, 2017
1. New Teacher Welcome
F. BOARD PRESIDENT’S REPORT
G. BOARD COMMITTEE REPORTS
1. Finance Committee
2. Property Committee
3. Program Committee
H. SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT
1. Referendum Update
I. ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT
J. SCHOOL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT
L. PUBLIC COMMENTS
For members of the Millburn School District community who may be joining a Meeting for the first time or would like to provide comments tonight, we’re sharing the Board Policy pertaining to public comments. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts as per the District’s Policy!
The Board of Education recognizes the value of public comment on educational issues and the importance of allowing members of the public to express themselves on school matters of community interest. In order to permit the fair and orderly expression of such comment, the Board shall provide for two periods of public comments at every regularly scheduled meeting of the Board, the length of each period to be determined by the Board. Public participation shall be governed by the following rules:
1. A participant must be recognized by the presiding officer and must preface comments by an announcement of his or her name, place of residence, and group affiliation, if appropriate.
2. Each statement made by a participant shall be limited to a reasonable time as determined by the presiding officer.
3. No participant may speak more than once on the same topic until all others who wish to speak on that topic have been heard.
4. All statements shall be directed to the presiding officer; no participant may address or question Board members individually.
5. The presiding officer may (a) Interrupt, warn, or terminate a participant's statement when the statement is too lengthy, personally directed, abusive, obscene, or irrelevant to the district; (b) Request any individual to leave the meeting when that person does not observe reasonable decorum; (c) Request the assistance of law enforcement officers in the removal of a disorderly personwhenthatperson'sconduct interfereswiththeorderlyprogressofthemeeting;(d)Callfora recess or an adjournment to another time when the lack of public decorum so interferes with the orderly conduct of the meeting as to warrant such action; and waive these rules when necessary for the protection of privacy or the efficient administration of the Board's business.
M. BOARD ACTION ITEMS (Roll Call Votes)
1. Instruction Agenda Items
a. Resolve to approve Professional Development Requests / Teacher Conferences as per policies 3440 and 4440 requiring prior approval of travel reimbursement expenses.
b. Resolve to establish: Primary Learn/Language Disabilities Class, Mild/Moderate at Washington School Primary Resource Programs at Washington School Pull/out, support Pull/out, replacement In- class, support
c. Resolve to authorize the Business Administrator to submit a renewal application for Temporary Classroom Space at Glenwood Elementary School for the SY 2017-2018.
d. Resolve to approve the following contracts for tuition in accordance with students Individual Education Plans for the 2017-
2018 school year.
Collier School $55,260. SY
Union Cty Vo-Tech $ 6,000. SY, shared time
Union Cty Vo-Tech $ 6,000. SY, shared time
Union Cty Vo-Tech. $ 6,000. SY, shared time
e. Resolve to approve a contract with Morris Union Jointure Commission for related services in accordance with students Individual Education Plans for the SY/ESY programs 2017-2018 school year, in the amount of $63,085.00.
f. Resolve to approve the district calendars for the 2018-19, 2019-20 and 2020-21 school years.
g. Resolve to accept the following special education student from an out of district school for the SY 2017-18:
ID# District Grade Amount
18931 South Orange/Maplewood 8 $102,044.97
2. Personnel Agenda Items
Resolve to approve the Personnel Report dated, August 28, 2017.
3. Business Agenda Items
a. Resolve to approve budget transfers for the month of June, 2017.
b. Resolve to approve Treasurer of School Moneys report for period ending June, 2017.
c. Approval and Certification of Board Secretary's Report for period ending, June 30, 2017.
d. Resolve to approve Bill Schedule # 2, dated July 28, 2017, in the amount of $5,421,602.10.
e. Resolve to approve Bill Schedule # 3, dated August 28, 2017, in the amount of $6,018,832.02
f. Resolve to approve the following contract with Essex Regional
Educational Services Commission for the SY 2017-2018:
1. Non-Public Security Program
g. Resolve to approve an agreement with Essex Regional Services Commission for Cooperative Purchasing Services for the SY 2017-2018, and for the bidding and purchasing of SY 2018-2019 school supplies, in the amount of $18,680.00.
h. Resolve to amend change order 9 approved on July 24, 2017 and to approve the following change orders regarding the Interior Renovations and Building Systems Improvements at Washington School project. Change orders 1-11 will be funded from the $44,400 project allowance to cover additional work and will require a revised additional amount of $16,667.08 for the balance of the work:
(1) Amend Change Order 9
Contractor: Mark Construction of Wallington, NJ
Amount: ($2,098,83) for stage curtain supports, stage lighting demolition and credit for not dry-cleaning and flame proofing the existing curtains.
(2) Change Order 11
Contractor: Mark Construction of Wallington, NJ
Amount: $3,542.75 for removal of stage lighting and rigging, removal of floor outlets, removal of exit signs for egress compliance, replace water damaged smoke and heat detectors, and credit for removal of telecom outets.
i. Resolve to approve the Emergency Operation Plan for SY 2017-2018.
j. RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING APPLICATIONS TO BE MADE TO THE COMMISSIONER OF EDUCATION FOR APPROVAL OF EDUCATIONAL PLANS, SCHEMATIC PLANS AND SCHOOL FACILITIES PROJECTS, ANY REQUIRED AMENDMENT TO THE LONG RANGE FACILITIES PLAN AND OTHER RELATED ACTIONS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE EDUCATIONAL FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION AND FINANCING ACT.
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE BOARD OF EDUCATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF MILLBURN IN THE COUNTY OF ESSEX, NEW JERSEY as follows:
1. The Board President, the Superintendent of Schools, the Business Administrator/Board Secretary, the Project Architect, Bond Counsel and other appropriate representatives of the Board (the “Board Representatives”) are hereby authorized to submit the educational plans and the schematic plans for the school facilities projects: 13-3190-050-18-1000 Varsity Baseball Field Improvements (the “Projects”) hereby approved in forms prepared by Heintz & Fiore AIA, LLC (the“Project Architect”), together with such other information as may be required, to the State Department of Education for approval and to make application to the Commissioner of Education for approval of the educational plans, the schematic plans and the Projects and, if necessary, any required amendment to the long-range facilities plan, in accordance with the requirements of the Educational Facilities Construction and Financing Act, N.J.S.A.18A:7G-1 et seq.(P.L.2000, Ch. 72, effective July 18, 2000, as amended and supplemented (the “Act”)) and N.J.A.C. 6A:26- 2.1(f),6A:26- 2.3, 6A:26-3.1 and 6A:26-3.2.
2. The Board Representatives are hereby further authorized and directed to submit the schematic plans and any other required information to the Planning Board and, if necessary, to the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and to any other appropriate agency for review and comment.
3. Heintz & Fiore AIA, LLC, the School District’s appointed architect for the Project, has heretofore been authorized and delegated the responsibility to prepare the plans and specifications for the Project in consultation with and under the supervision of the Business Administrator/Board Secretary, who has heretofore been delegated the responsibility to work with the architect for this purpose on behalf of the Board, and such authorizations and delegations are hereby reconfirmed and ratified, all in accordance with the requirements of N.J.S.A. 18A:18A- 16.
k. Resolve to grant authority to the Business Administrator/Board Secretary to solicit bids for Varsity Baseball Field Improvements
l. Resolve to approve the write off of the following stale-dated checks:
1. Business Office – General Fund
Check # Amount Issue. Issue Date
193269 $ 86.80 12/16/15
194312. $ 154.69 4/25/16
194561 $5,009.44 5/23/16
194718 $ 50.41 6/20/16
194758. $ 59.21 6/20/16
194830. $ 442.00 6/20/16
194831. $ 442.00 6/20/16
194834 $ 442.00 6/20/16
194884. $1,326.00 6/20/16
Check # Amount Issue Date
173057 $ 0.03 2/12/16
3. High School Athletics Official’s Account
Check # 15786 15891 16397 16546
Amount $ 58.00 $ 60.00 $ 76.00 $ 72.00
Issue Date 2/24/15 4/15/15 10/27/15 1/20/16
m. Resolve, pursuant to Board Policy 7510, the Millburn Township Board of Education approves the lease agreement with Wonderay, LLC of Millburn, NJ, from September 9, 2017 through June 16, 2018.
n. Resolve to approve a donation from the Millburn Middle School PTO in the amount $18,350 for the purchase and installation of an LED sign.
o. Resolve to approve the services of Belfor Property Restoration on a time and material basis to provide remediation and repair at the Education Center in response to the emergency/life safety condition resulting from the water infiltration.
p. Resolve to approve a transportation contract renewal with First Student Bus Company in the amount of $31,948.50 for the SY 2017-2018.
q. Resolve to approve a parental transportation contract to the parents of student # 16563, in the amount of $9,000 for the SY 2017-2018.
r. Resolve to approve the following transportation contracts for the SY 2017- 2018:
Morris Union Jointure: $70,030.87
DLC – Warren PG $48,684.58
Chambers Gramon School $20,822.20
4. Policy Agenda Items
a. Regulation 3221 Evaluation of Teachers (M) Revised
b. Regulation 3222 Evaluation of Teaching Staff Members, Excluding Teachers and Administrators (M) (Revised)
c. Regulation 3223 Evaluation of Administrators, Excluding Principals, Vice Principals and Assistant Principals (M) (Revised)
d. Regulation 3224 Evaluation of Principals, Vice Principals, and Assistant Principals (M) (Revised)
e. Policy 8130 School Organization 0167 Public Participation in Board Meetings
N. OLD BUSINESS
O. NEW BUSINESS
P. PUBLIC COMMENTS
Q. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS
R. EXECUTIVE SESSION
BE IT RESOLVED by the Millburn Board of Education that on Monday, August 28, 2017, during the regular public meeting on that date, this body shall meet at the High School Media Center, 462 Millburn Avenue, Millburn, New Jersey, for a discussion pursuant to Section 7b of the Open Public Meetings Act. A general description of the matters to be discussed is as follows:
The discussion on these topics will be disclosed to the public at the next public meeting of the Board or as soon thereafter as the circumstances and nature of the subjects permit.