MILLBURN, NJ - Do 1 Thing is a 12-month program that makes it easy for you to prepare yourself, your family, and your community for emergencies or disasters.
Being prepared for disasters and emergencies can seem like a big job. Many people don’t know where to start, so they never start at all. With Do 1 Thing you can take small steps that make a big difference in an emergency. Be sure to SIGN UP for their free program to help get started on being prepared!
Goal For September: Be Prepared
Getting correct information during an emergency is the key to taking safe action. Someone in your household may not be able to receive, understand, or act on emergency information. Think about what special needs your household may have. Take action now to make sure everyone in your family will be safe in an emergency.
Things to consider…
- Emergency news or weather broadcasts may not be closed captioned.
- Information that is shown on screen may not be spoken aloud.
- Automated voices and voices over loud speakers may be hard to understand.
- Information comes quickly and the stress of a disaster may make it hard to understand or remember instructions.
- Words moving across the bottom of a television screen may move very quickly.
- The screen color or color of the text might make some information on television hard to read.
Your community may have outdoor warning sirens (also called tornado sirens) to warn you in an emergency. These sirens are meant to let people who are outside know they should go indoors.
Weather can change very quickly. Severe weather may strike when people are sleeping or unaware of the forecast.
The way emergency information is sent out in your community may not work for everyone. If you don’t speak English well, or if you use an assistive device to speak or hear, make a plan now.