MILLBURN, NJ - For the second year, Hartshorn Elementary School in Short Hills will be celebrating Officer Appreciation Day on May 17, by honoring police officers, and servicemen and women in our community and our state.
Change Agent students at Hartshorn school, have made it a mission to make May 17 Officer Appreciation Day. The “Change Agent” initiative encourages students to work together to make a visible difference in the world through Environmental Awareness, Ethics in Action, Community Service, and Random Acts of Kindness.
In 2018 students sent letters to the Governor, legislators and NJ agencies encouraging them to recognize Officer Appreciation Day, and on May 17, 2018, the Millburn community recognized Officer Appreciation Day. Police officers were given thank you notes and cards, they had food delivered to their headquarters, police visited the schools, and the high school marquee displayed “Officer Appreciation Day May 17 - Thank You.”
This academic year the Change Agents continued with this mission. They wrote and sent letters to hundreds of school district superintendents in NJ encouraging them to recognize May 17th as Officer Appreciation Day. This year there will be increased awareness statewide of this special day.
The Hartshorn School celebration will take place at the school (400 Hartshorn Drive, Short Hills), at 2:00 pm.
- The State Police have confirmed they will be landing their helicopter on the back field at Hartshorn School at 2:00 PM on May 17.
- Millburn Police Chief Brian Gilfedder will be accepting the Officer Appreciation Day Award on behalf of the Millburn Police.
- State Police representative Trooper Shane McClafferty will be accepting the Officer Appreciation Day Award on behalf of the State Police.
- The Millburn Honor guard will be on site to present the Flag for the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Officer Appreciation Day Awards will also be presented to the Essex County Sheriff office and the U.S. military.
Schedule of Events:
2:00 State Police Helicopter Landing
2:10 Millburn Police Honor Guard - Presentation of Colors and Pledge of Allegiance
2:20 Speech and Award presentation to Millburn Police and State Police representative(s), Military Servicemen/women, Sheriff Officers
2:30 End of Assembly – Refreshments for Honored Guests and Representatives