MILLBURN, NJ - I want to say thanks to the staff, students, parents and community members who came out on Wednesday night for our school district’s first Health & Wellness Community Forum. We heard important insights from over 150 participants about the issues and stressors that impact our students.
A presentation by George Scott, Ed.S. on “Wellness and Wellbeing” provided an overview of some causes of an increase in stress in children around the country, and offered some solutions for both schools and families to reduce their stress and health concerns.
A group of students from our High School Student Liaison Committee shared the results of a survey they recently submitted to their peers. While it may not be a scientific survey, you may find the responses intriguing.
Sign Up for E-News
Participants then broke out into discussion groups, and responded to two questions:
- What factors in Millburn are impacting the health and wellness of our students?
- What can we do to improve the health and wellness of our students?
A representative response from each table was shared with the entire group. As a follow-up, we will be compiling all of the responses and summarizing them in a community email that will be sent out in the coming week, along with a date for the next Heath & Wellness meeting. We are in the process of incorporating short, medium and long-term actions that the schools and Committee will look to accomplish.
We also shared the many resources that are currently available to our families and students.
- Our school nurses have resources at their fingertips to help students and families who are struggling with medical or mental health issues.
- The Guidance offices at Middle and High school exist to support our students’ needs in all areas – academic, social, and emotional.
- I encourage you to take a look at the Millburn High School Student Center website for student workshops, information, resources, and drop-in hours for support for students and parents.
We are posting these and additional resources from community groups on our Health & Wellness website. Please share suggestions with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
Of course, one of the best ways to de-stress is to have some down time. I hope you will find some time to relax during this upcoming vacation week. Perhaps this Mannequin Challenge from our high school Adventure Education classes will inspire you.
Enjoy the winter break!