MILLBURN, NJ - Fourth of July is a festive time, but for pets it is the one day a year where more pets get lost. Between celebrations and fireworks, there are many portential opportunites for a pet to get into harms way or become scared and run. Petfinder shared eight helpful tips to help keep pets safe this year.
1. Be sure your pet is wearing up to date and visible tags.
2. Take a current photo of your pet to have in case of emergency.
3. Excercise your pet early in the day before the celebrations kick off.
4. At parties, make sure your pet stays away from open flames and grills.
5. Keep charcoal, fireworks, sparklers and glow sticks away from pets.
6. Keep treats handy for your pet so they can enjoy the celebration safely.
7. Leave your pet at home with a favorite treat during fireworks.
8. If your pet is afraid of loud noises, put on quieter music over the fireworks.