MILLBURN, NJ - The Millburn Public School district issued some mid-week guidance on some issues and reminders for parents and students throughout the district.
- Drivers have made route changes and bus stop improvements to successfully reduce travel times.
- Building administrators have confirmed that each day there have been improvements in bus arrival and departure times.
- We are continuing to address parent concerns at the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Facts & Figures
- Buses are timed to arrive in the morning no more than 15 minutes before the start of classes. Most are now arriving in time for students to get to class on time.
- At the end of the day, bus routes begin no earlier than 10 minutes after the end of classes:
- It takes time to safely seat students on a bus.
- Elementary students are checked on to the bus by staff every day, and often the buses do not leave until 10 minutes or more after the anticipated 3:10 departure time
- Buses may arrive late to the elementary schools in the afternoon because, just like in the mornings, they drive a high school or middle school run first.However in the afternoon they only have a 20-minute cushion between finishing their first route and arriving at the elementary school, vs. an hour in the morning.
- Construction projects around town (Glen Avenue this week), and traffic also delay buses.
- We have brought in a former transportation supervisor who has revised all of the 98 bus routes around town, and will continue to work with us in the coming weeks to assist us in resolving this crisis.
- We are adding an additional route to Washington School to improve the routing and shorten the time on buses for Washington School students
- We are holding a meeting tomorrow with all of the bus drivers, and the administrators from the contracted bus companies.
- We will provide drivers with the new routes and they will be instructed to drive the routes, confirm stops and directions.
- Drivers require multiple days to learn the routes to ensure they are safe and efficient for our students.
- The transportation department will make clear our expectations for all Millburn bus drivers.
- The District will refund all Subscription Busing fees for the first 3 weeks of school.
- New routes will be implemented in the coming days once they are verified by the actual drivers and safety of bus stops are confirmed
- Parents will be notified electronically as soon as their child’s new route is implemented.
- Bus Route information will be made available in PowerSchool.Parents will log into the PowerSchool Parent Portal for new “bus passes.” (See below for PowerSchool information)
- Until your new route is implemented, please continue using the current schedule and bus stop.
- We are continuing to review and respond to phone calls and emails to resolve each student transportation concern.
- Please email the transportation department at email@example.com with questions or concerns.
POWER SCHOOL REMINDERS
- New families have received their codes to create a parent PowerSchool account.Please activate your account as soon as possible in order to be able to access the new bus passes and other important student information. If you need assistance with your code or activation, please contact your school office.
- If you have not yet completed the Summer Back to School update your PowerSchool Parent account may be disabled.Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
SCHOOLMESSENGER EMAILS AND NOTIFICATIONS
- We are using SchoolMessenger to send email blasts from all schools this year.(This is the system we use to alert families of weather delays and busing.)
- If you are not receiving emails, please update your email addresses, phone numbers and opt in to text messaging by logging in to PowerSchool.Click on the arrow in the upper right and then select Contact Manager.Questions or problems, email email@example.com
BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHTS
Elementary School families met their teachers last night and had their opportunity to hear about curriculum and the exciting plans for the school year.
Middle School Grade 6: Thursday, September 14
Middle School Grade 7 & 8: Tuesday, September 19
High School: Thursday, September 28