MILLBURN TOWNSHIP PUBLIC SCHOOLS Millburn, New Jersey
* * R E V IS E D
A G E N D A * *
Millburn Township Board of Education Monday, September 11, 2017
7:45 PM – HIGH SCHOOL MEDIA CENTER
A. CALL TO ORDER
B. SILENT COUNT OF BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT
C. ANNOUNCEMENT OF MEETING NOTICE
On May 26, 2017, a notice of this meeting was transmitted to the Board of Education and a copy of the notice was posted at the Education Center bulletin board. Copies were also transmitted to the Millburn-Short Hills Item, the Star-Ledger, the Millburn-Short Hills Independent Press, TAP-Millburn Short Hills, TV-36, the Township Clerk and members of the Township Committee, the Presidents of the PTO and Civic Associations, and the Public Library.
1. Minutes of the Regular Public Meeting of August 28, 2017
2. Minutes of the Closed Meeting of August 28, 2017
1. Custodial/Staff Recognition
2. 2017-2018 State of Professional Development
3. District and Board Goals 2016-2017
F. BOARD PRESIDENT’S REPORT
G. BOARD COMMITTEE REPORTS
1. Policy Committee
H. SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT 1. Referendum Update
Agenda - September 11, 2017
I. ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT
J. SCHOOL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT
L. PUBLIC COMMENTS
For members of the Millburn School District community who may be joining a Meeting for the first time or would like to provide comments tonight, we’re sharing the Board Policy pertaining to public comments. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts as per the District’s Policy!
0167- Public Participation in Board Meetings
The Board of Education recognizes the value of public comment on educational issues and the importance of allowing members of the public to express themselves on school matters of community interest. In order to permit the fair and orderly expression of such comment, the Board shall provide for two periods of public comments at every regularly scheduled meeting of the Board, the length of each period to be determined by the Board. Public participation shall be governed by the following rules:
1. A participant must be recognized by the presiding officer and must preface comments by an announcement of his or her name, place of residence, and group affiliation, if appropriate.
2. Each statement made by a participant shall be limited to a reasonable time as determined by the presiding officer.
3. No participant may speak more than once on the same topic until all others who wish to speak on that topic have been heard.
4. All statements shall be directed to the presiding officer; no participant may address or question Board members individually.
5. The presiding officer may (a) Interrupt, warn, or terminate a participant's statement when the statement is too lengthy, personally directed, abusive, obscene, or irrelevant to the district; (b) Requestanyindividualtoleavethemeetingwhenthatperson doesnotobservereasonabledecorum; (c) Request the assistance of law enforcement officers in the removal of a disorderly person when that person's conduct interferes with the orderly progress of the meeting; (d) Call for a recess or an adjournment to another time when the lack of public decorum so interferes with the orderly conduct of the meeting as to warrant such action; and waive these rules when necessary for the protection of privacy or the efficient administration of the Board's business.
M. BOARD ACTION ITEMS (Roll Call Votes)
1. Instruction Agenda Items
a. Resolve to approve Professional Development Requests / Teacher Conferences as per policies 3440 and 4440 requiring prior approval of travel reimbursement expenses.
b. Resolve to approve the District and Board Goals for SY 2017-2018.
c. Resolved, the Millburn Board of Education approve legal settlement for student #12981 regarding a settlement agreement for the educational costs for the 2016-17 SY, 2017 ESY, 2017-18 SY, 2018-19, 2019-20 and 2020- 21 SY.
d. Resolve to approve the following salaries to be charged to the 2017-18 ESEA Grant. These employees have been previously appointed to positions in the district and the board approved the grant application on July 24, 2017:
Lauren Rogowski: 100% of salary $61,468 to account #20-231-100-100- S-24
Dolores Avila: 100% of salary $92,050.00 to account #20-231-100-100- W-24
Elizabeth Bagish: 32% ($33,150) of salary $105,050.00 to account #20- 270-100-101-24
Based on the current 16/17 school year contractual agreements in force between the Board of Education and the employee unit.
**Appropriate adjustments to be made after ratification of the 2017-2020 MEA contract**
2. Personnel Agenda Items
Resolve to approve the Personnel Report dated, September 11, 2017.
3. Business Agenda Items
a. Resolve to approve budget transfers for the month of July, 2017.
b. Resolve to approve Treasurer of School Moneys report for period ending July 31, 2017.
c. Approval and Certification of Board Secretary's Report for period ending, July 31, 2017.
4. Policy Agenda Items
a. Regulation 2431.1 Emergency Procedures for Athletic Practices and Competitions
b. Regulation 2431.2 Medical Examination Prior to Participation on a School-Sponsored Interscholastic or Intramural Team or Squad
c. Regulation 2431.4 Prevention and Treatment of Sports-Related Concussions and Head Injuries
d. Policy and Regulation 3160 (Physical Examination: Teaching Staff)
e. Policy and Regulation 4160 (Physical Examination: Support Staff)
N. OLD BUSINESS
O. NEW BUSINESS
P. PUBLIC COMMENTS
Q. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS
R. EXECUTIVE SESSION
BE IT RESOLVED by the Millburn Board of Education that on Monday, September 11, 2017, during the regular public meeting on that date, this body shall meet at the High School Media Center, 462 Millburn Avenue, Millburn, New Jersey, for a discussion pursuant to Section 7b of the Open Public Meetings Act. A general description of the matters to be discussed is as follows:
1. Safety Matter
The discussion on these topics will be disclosed to the public at the next public meeting of the Board or as soon thereafter as the circumstances and nature of the subjects permit.