Area Parents are invited to join a FREE “STEP” Program at Parkview School in Milltown Starting February 4th.
Milltown area parents are invited to participate in an exciting program called STEP (Systematic Training for Effective Parenting). The program is a parenting education curriculum designed to helps parent of 6 to 12 year-old children learn effective ways to relate to their children from birth through adolescence through parent education study groups.
The program will be offered Thursdays on February 4, 11, 18, 25, March 3, 10, 17 and 24. Each session will run from 6:00 - 7:30 pm at the Parkview School Media Center located at 80 Violet Terrace, Milltown, NJ 08850.
The program is presented in a group format, with optimal group sizes ranging from 6 to 14 parents. The goals of STEP are:
- Increased ability to identify goals of misbehavior
- Increased alternatives to misbehaviors
- Increased encouragement skills
- Increased skill in communication
- Increased skill in cooperation (parental and child)
- Increased skill in discipline
- Increased skill in choosing parenting approach
- Increase child self-esteem and confidence
- Decreased inappropriate parental behaviors in disciplining children and teens
The primary purpose of STEP is to provide skills training for parents dealing with frequently encountered challenges.
Wellspring Center for Prevention will provide program leaders. Funding for this program is made possible by the Milltown Municipal Alliance Committee and the Governor’s Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse.
Parents wishing to register for this program are urged to contact: Johanna Pagan at 732.254.3344 ext. 111 or via email at email@example.com.