EAST BRUNSWICK, NJ - Playhouse 22 will be having open auditions for Camelot, a musical by Lerner and Loewe on March 30 and March 31 at 7:30 p.m. Callbacks will be by invitation on April 4 between the hours of 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Directed by Erik Hall, Music Direction by François Suhr, and Choreography by Angela Ricci, this beloved musical tells the story of Guinevere, King Arthur’s lovely wife, who encourages him to establish the Knights of the Round Table. As the Knights grow in fame, Lancelot becomes the most celebrated, but rumors begin to circulate about him and Guinevere. Camelot is a time-honored tale of love, forgiveness and dignity.
Performance dates are June 12 through June 28 (Friday and Saturday evenings at 8 p.m.; Sunday afternoons at 3 p.m.) Tech week will begin on June 6 and all cast members are expected to attend these rehearsals.
Those auditioning should be prepared to sing 16 to 32 bars of a song in the style of the show.
Sides will be provided at auditions.
At auditions please be prepared to list any dance experience you have.
Everyone auditioning will be taught a short movement combination. No specific shoes/attire required.
Please review the story of Camelot before auditioning.
We are looking for individuals 18 years of age and older with experience in stage combat and fight choreography for the ensemble.
- ARTHUR – (Baritone age 28 to 40) – “The once and future king,” Arthur is at once wise, generous, compassionate, and boyish – rather unsure of himself, yet an inspiration to others. A rich and complex character.
- GUINEVERE – (Mezzo age 22 – 34) – A young, spirited woman who is quite caught up in chivalry and the exciting possibilities of a promising life. She loves Arthur, but is very much thrown by the arrival of Lancelot – the start of the famous “love triangle.”
- LANCELOT – (Baritone age 25 to 38) – An abundantly self-assured knight from France who is a passionate disciple of Arthur and his Round Table. “The greatest knight in the world,” whose only weakness is his love for Guenevere.
- KING PELLINORE – (age 65 to 99) – A wonderfully funny and stuffily “British” old knight – provides the most consistent comic relief in the play. Dedicated to Arthur. Very eccentric.
- MERLYN – (age 40 to 70) – The famous wizard who teaches Arthur almost all he needs to know. He disappears after the second scene in the show.
- MORDRED – (Tenor age 18 to 26) – A truly evil young man, who was “sired” by Arthur when the king was young and naïve. A thoroughly and fascinatingly unlikable fellow.
- SIR DINADAN – (age 30 to 50) – One of the three named knights who serve Arthur. Dinadan is devoted to Guenevere and doesn’t care for Lancelot.
- NIMUE – (Mezzo age 30 to 99) – The “nymph” who lures Merlyn away with her hauntingly beautiful singing.
- MORGAN LE FEY – (30 to 99) – a powerful sorceress in the Arthurian legend, she is the half-sister of Arthur and aunt of Mordred, who inhabits the forest and is a gourmand with a weakness – her sweet tooth and her capacity for mischief – and a “hidden” strength – she is invisible.
- CHORUS – There are several other named characters, both male and female, which will be cast based on auditions for the above-named characters, and on singing tryouts. (Clarius, Lady Anne, Lady Sybil, Sir Sagramore, Sir Lionel, Squire Dap, a Page).
Rehearsals are expected to begin on or about April 6 and will be held depending on cast availability.
Playhouse 22 is a non-profit, volunteer-based community theater and cast members will not receive a stipend for their service.
Video auditions will not be accepted. Please bring your theater resume, should you have one, to auditions.