SPOTSWOOD, NJ - Residents in need of a respite from this week's latest heat wave can utilize one of the three cooling centers located in the borough.
The following cooling centers are available from now through Thursday, August 22;
- The Court Room in the Municipal Building is available to residents all day and though the night.
- Spotswood Public Library is available during its regular business hours, which are 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- The Spotswood Office on Aging on 1 Arlington Avenue is available on weekdays only from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Any resident with a cooling issue should contact the Spotswood Police Department via their non-emergency telephone number, which is 732-251-2121 extension 0.
Excessive heat tends to impact young children and the elderly more quickly. Some additional heat-beating tips are to:
- Stay indoors during the hottest times of the day, which is typically between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest times of the day; exercising in the early morning and evening is best.
- Be sure to stay hydrated.
- Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.
- Eat lighter meals like salads.
- Do not leave babies, children or pets inside of parked cars.
- Provide water for pets.
- Avoid using the stove and oven especially if you don't have air conditioning. Their use will heat up the house more quickly.
- If you do have to work outside, take frequent breaks in the shade if possible and drink plenty of water.
According to the National Weather Service, Thursday's temperatures are expected to be near 90 degrees with high humidity. The heat and humidity are forecasted to back down on Friday. Friday is expected to be comfortable with a high of 79.