SPOTSWOOD, NJ - With temperatures set to rise into the 90s again Monday, the borough is opening cooling centers to help residents deal with the high heat index and air quality alert. Cooling centers will be available at the Spotswood Public Library on Main Street as well as the Senior Center on 1 Arlington Ave.
Excessive heat tends to effect young children and the elderly more quickly. So, Monday might be a good day to check in on seniors in the neighborhood who may live alone. Some additonal heat beating tips are:
- Stay indoors during the hottest times of the day, which is typically between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest times of the day; exercising in the early morning and evening is best
- Be sure to stay hydrated
- Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing
- Eat lighter meals like salads
- Do not leave babies, children or pets inside of parked cars
- Provide water for pets
- Avoid using the stove and oven especially if you don't have air conditioning. Their use will heat up the house more quickly
- If you do have to work outside, take frequent breaks in the shade if possible and drink plenty of water