SPOTSWOOD/MILLTOWN, NJ - Police departments in both Spotswood and Milltown are reminding residents that there will be curfews in place for Oct. 30 and 31. For Spotswood, the curfew on both Mischief Night and Halloween is 9 p.m. In Milltown, the curfew is for 8 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 30 and for 9 p.m. on Halloween.
The curfew applies to children and teenagers that are 17 years of age or younger and are not accompanied by an adult, preferably a parent or guardian.
The Spotswood Police Department is also reminding residents that the fourth annual Trunk or Treating event at the Spotswood High School on Halloween is a "safe alternative" to the traditional trick or treating from house to house. The event is sponsored by the Spotswood Recreation Department and takes place from 6:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. Cars must arrive between 6 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. There will also be prizes, entertainment and pizza.
Some Halloween saftey tips for kids to keep in mind are:
- Never trick or treat alone. Always travel in a group with an adult.
- Walk on the sidewalk, not in the street.
- Make sure to cross at the crosswalks.
- Bring a flashlight along and remember, it does get dark earlier now.
- Make sure all costume pieces allow the person to see properly and don't present a tripping hazard.
- Never enter a strange home.
- Trick or treat in familiar neighborhoods.
- Never accept a ride from a stranger.
- Don't eat any candy unless it's been checked by an adult.
- Throw away any unwrapped candy or treats.
Adults should also remember on Halloween to:
- Drive slowly. 5:30 p.m. through 9 p.m. are prime trick or treating hours.
- Keep front porch lights on so trick or treaters can see.
- Make sure sprinklers are off.
- Make sure your front walk is clear of objects that trick or treaters may trip on.
- Halloween can be unnerving for pets, so make sure they are secured before opening the door for visitors.
Whether residents trunk or treat, trick or treat, head to a zombie pub crawl or a costume bash, be safe and have fun. Happy Halloween.