EAST BRUNSWICK, NJ - The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning from midnight tonight to 4pm on Thursday. The winter storm warning consists of snow accumulations of 6 to 10 inches of heavy snow for central and northern New Jersey.
Visibility will be a quarter mile or less at times. Winds will be 10 -20 MPH with gusts up to 30 MPH. A wintry mix will overspread the area from the west near midnight reaching the northern New Jersey coast by 4 am. The event will likely begin as snow north of the I-78 corridor. Elsewhere, rain will change over to snow from northwest to southeast into early Thursday morning. Sleet may mix in briefly during the transition from rain to snow.
The snow likely will be heavy for a time Thursday morning before tapering off quickly from west to east during midday or the afternoon. The heavy snow will make many roads potentially impassable for several hours during the worst part of the storm which should be 5 am to 10 am. There may be widespread power outages due to the weight of the snow on tree limbs and powerlines.
The threat for power outages will be less where temperatures are mostly below 30 degrees during the snow. A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel...keep an extra flashlight...food...and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
Travel will be dangerous during this snow event and all travelers are asked to remain off the roads to give our crews an opportunity to clean the streets.
- Twp. Ordinance prohibits parking on any street during a snow event; this is to ensure that we can safely and efficiently operate our snow removal equipment. Enforcement will occur for non-compliance.
- Please remove any other obstacles on the street such as basketball systems, garbage cans, recycling can, and anything that can effect snow plowing services.
- Please shovel out any fire hydrants in front of your house.
- Please clear a path to your front door in the event that emergency workers need to access your residence.
- Please understand that due to continuous snow plowing operations on the roadway the bottom portion of your driveway may have to be cleaned several times. The snow plows will be making numerous passes on the roadways and may affect any snow shoveling you may have completed.
- The gusty winds will have the potential to bring down tree limbs and power lines. Be prepared for the possibility of power outages and loss of heat. Please use care if you need the use of a generator.
- Charge up electronic devices ahead of time and be sure to have a flashlight, portable radio and batteries.
- Check on elderly neighbors and relatives, especially in the event of a power outage.
Due to the winter weather, Solid Waste & Recycling Collection will be cancelled for February 9.
SOLID WASTE for Thursday, February 9 will be collected Friday, February 10.
RECYCLING for Thursday, February 9, Recycling District 4 will be collected, Saturday, February 11.
Recycling Center is CLOSED
Please check the township website for additional updates at www.eastbrunswick.org
For continuous alerts, please follow us on Twitter:
@EBpolicedept or @austinkosik – emergency management coordinator.
REPORTING POWER OUTAGES:
East Brunswick Police Department
1 Civic Center Dr
East Brunswick, NJ 08816