MILLTOWN, NJ - Summer officially begins on Thursday. The summer solstice arrives at 6:07 a.m. on June 21, so it isn't too early to start making plans for July 4. Milltown has a full menu of family-friendly fun, starting bright and early with the borough's annual fishing derby and concluding in the evening with a fabulous fireworks display.
Pull out the red, white and blue clothes and make plans to head to Milltown to celebrate July 4. Here is a complete rundown of the events on tap for Wednesday, July 4.
- 6 a.m. - Fishing Derby by the Milltown Rescue Squad on South Main Street and Washington Avenue
- 7:45 a.m. - Fun Run (The one mile race kicks off in front of Gloria Bradford Park on Violet Terrace)
- 8:10 a.m. - Firecracker 5K (The race also begins in front of Gloria Bradford Park)
- 10 a.m. - Fourth of July Parade begins along Main Street, turns left on Lincoln Avenue and turns left on JFK Boulevard before ending at Gloria Bradford Park
- 11 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. - Family fun at Gloria Bradford Park with rides, vendors, free hot dogs, free soda, Mr. Ray, Field Day with Rangers AC and music by Bonefide
- 2 p.m. - Winners for Milltown's annual Patriotic House and Apple Pie contests will be announced at Gloria Bradford Park
- 2:30 p.m. - Duck Race at Main Street Bridge
- 7 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. - Music by Party People DJ's and vendors at Gloria Bradford Park
- 9:30 p.m. - Fireworks
The rain date for Milltown's Fourth of July celebration is Saturday, July 7. However, the Fun Run and Firecracker 5K will be held on July 4 rain or shine. Runners can still register for the upcoming Fun Run and 5K.
For addition information on the borough's July 4 fun or to donate to the annual festivities, visit the Milltown Fourth of July webpage. The parade and full array of activities is subsidized by donations from area residents and businesses.