BEDMINSTER TWP., N.J. — The stable complex at Hamilton Farm, the long time home of the United States Equestrian team is now listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
According to www.uset.org:
The original farm dates back to 1911, when Wall Street financier James Cox Brady purchased 180 acres in New Jersey for $100 per acre only 50 miles outside of New York City. It was said that Brady initially spent $1 million on developing the property. He named the farm after his wife, Elizabeth Jane Hamilton Brady.
The barns were completed in 1913, with the main stable (headquarters of the USET Foundation of today) built in 1916. Brady continued to add on to his estate, and it eventually reached 5,000 acres and spanned three counties. The stable grew in the 1920’s, and every animal was an outstanding specimen of its breed. Dairy and beef cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens, ducks, and geese were raised at Hamilton Farms, but Brady was especially interested in horses.
The famous stable is made of brick and concrete and is reinforced with steel. The ornate interior includes carriage rooms, tile walls, terrazzo floors and brass fittings. There are 54 stalls, and the barn originally had 40 other rooms: tack rooms, offices and living quarters. The central entrance leads through to a tiled octagonal foyer, with a split-level stable on the left and the former carriage section on the right.
The United States Equestrian Team was formed in 1950 and finally found a permanent training base in 1961 at Hamilton Farm.
On Dec. 1, 2003, the United States Equestrian Team became the USET Foundation with a fundraising mandate. The sports governance of American equestrianism came under the control of the newly formed United States Equestrian Federation. The USET Foundation remains headquartered at Hamilton Farm, along with some of the High Performance division of the Federation. The Foundation’s purpose is to raise funds for the High Performance programs to train and send teams to international competitions such as the Olympics.
Hamilton Farm continues to host various various equestrian events although much of the acreage surrounding it has been sold off for development over the years. In 1988 the stable was permanently deeded to the team. In 1998, much of the 500 remaining acres surrounding the stable was converted into a golf course.
See more Equestrian news at www.TAPintoHorses.net
Find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TAPintoHorses/
Sign Up for E-News to get top stories delivered daily to your inbox.