HIGHLAND PARK, NJ - The Memorial Middle School wrestling team placed fifth in the Greater Middlesex Conference Small School Wrestling Tournament for middle schoolers on Saturday. The Colts had nine wrestlers place in the tournament that took place at the Highland Park Middle School over the weekend. The place winners included sixth grader Valerie Cicero who took third place in the 80-pound weight class. Cicero is one of two female wresters on the Memorial squad.
The other place winners and their weight classes include:
- Brandon Snyder - second place at 70 pounds
- Gabriel Nunez - second place at 75 pounds
- Jakob Cifuentas - second place at 158 pounds
- Kyle Chigas - second place at 185 pounds
- Mateo Rivera - third place at 105 pounds
- Jesse Mackey - third place at 115 pounds
- Benjamin Palmer - third place at 144 pounds
- Daniel Keelen - fourth place at 132 pounds
"The team wrestled very well on Saturday," Memorial Middle School head wrestling coach Daniel Krainski said. "Our goal was to finish top five and we achieved our goal."
Krainski, who is also a Physical Education teacher at Spotswood High School, guided the Memorial Middle School co-educational wrestling program last season as well and has also coached the high school's varsity program in the past.
"I’m impressed that five out of the nine wrestlers were first year wrestlers," Krainski added of the place winners. "I just hope that we continue to wrestle and grow as a team. We still have two matches left in the season and look to finish strong."