According to the Middlesex County website, grants of up to $30,000 might be available depending on the applicant. The exact amount of the grant will be determined by the application review process in addition to the number of applicants. A press release released by officials stated that Middlesex County would like to award a little over a million dollars in grants to small businesses throughout the county.
“While the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the global, national, and local economy, Middlesex County is committed to offering assistance where possible for the small businesses that are the fabric of our communities,” said Middlesex County Freeholder Director Ronald G. Rios.
Applications must be submitted by June 17 and meet all the eligibility requirements in order to be considered. The Small Business Grant program requirements include:
- Independent or family-owned businesses with 10 employees or less
- Businesses negatively impacted by the coronavirus pandemic
- Businesses with a net annual income of lower than $100,000 according to the business' most recent tax return
- Businesses located in Middlesex County, but not in locations that already received their CDBG-CV funding from HUD. Municipalities already getting CDBG-CV funding include Edison, New Brunswick, Old Bridge, Perth Amboy, Sayreville and Woodbridge.
- Businesses employing, retaining or hiring low to moderate income applicants for jobs that do not "require specialized training or education beyond a high school diploma"
“The CDBG-CV program was created under the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, also known as the CARES act, in a response to the economic impact the COVID-19 virus has had on the nation,” said Freeholder Deputy Director Kenneth Armwood, chair of the Business Innovation, Education and Opportunity Committee. “This is one of the beginning steps we are taking to help our local economy. Small businesses that are not funded under this opportunity may still be considered for later COVID-19 relief available to the County.”Applications can be found on the Middlesex County website. A video will also be available for applicants in the upcoming days to assist in the overall application process.