SPOTSWOOD, NJ - Summer may be in full swing, but many Spotswood High School athletes have been spending their August days preparing for the upcoming fall season, including the Spotswood High School cheerleading squad.
Head coach Colleen Meyers has been at the helm of the squad for 23 years. The Social Studies teacher is looking forward to the upcoming 2017 Charger football season that includes the Spotswood High School varsity and junior varsity cheerleaders. Tryouts have not yet been completed. However, the team will boast the return of Dana Dantoni, Marin Bohinski, Camyrn Andrulewich and Kimberly Mikic.
These four key varsity cheerleaders are among a core group of returning members that form the team's nucleus.
"Many returning cheerleaders will provide a sound basis for the team," said Meyers.
The longtime educator points to her team's great game day presence as well as their stellar tumbling and dancing skills as major assets to the squad's success. She's looking forward to this year's Greater Middlesex Conference Cheerleading Tournament as well.
The team also boasts triplets. Juniors Jovanna Alves, Gabriella Alves and Angelina Alves all made the varsity squad as freshmen.
The Chargers open their football season on Saturday, Sept. 9 against South River High School and the 2017 cheerleading squad will be ready to go. Kickoff is at 1 p.m. at the Spotswood High School Football Stadium. The rest of the schedule is as follows:
- Saturday, September 16 at home against Holmdel High School; game time at 1 p.m.
- Friday, September 22 at Middlesex High School; game time at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, September 30 at home against Dunellen High School; game time at 1 p.m.
- Friday, October 6 at Highland Park High School; game time at 7 p.m.
- Friday, October 13 at Point Pleasant Beach High School; game time at 7 p.m.
- Friday, October 20 at Bishop Ahr High School, game time at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, October 28 at home against Raritan High school; game time at 1 p.m.
- Saturday, November 4 at home against Metuchen High School; game time at 1 p.m.