MONROE TOWNSHIP, NJ - Six Spotswood High School varsity cross country runners competed in their final Greater Middlesex Conference Championships yesterday at Thompson Park. For Nicoletti Maselli, Rich Karczewski, Dan Lumsden, Justin Dekovics, Matt Tarrant and David Addesso, it would be their last time suiting up as a Charger for the annual October race against other Middlesex County high schools. Senior Day is a traditional at SHS with each team honoring the graduating athletes with a little special something as their final season draws to a close. For six runners, Senior Day was celebrated at this year's GMC Championships.
South Brunswick would take the team crown for both the boys and girls varsity cross country GMC Championships. Jake Beacher of Metuchen High School finished first for the boys with a time of 15:56.35 while Shelby Piccinic of Colonia High School came across first with a time of 18:56.87 for the girls varsity.
The Chargers finished sixth in the team competition for the boys varsity while the girls finished eleventh.
The top male finishers for Spotswood including place and time were as follows:
- Joseph Harold - 21 - 16:47.63
- Anthony Nobile - 24 - 16:49.89
- Justin Dekovics - 27 - 16:52.55
- Rich Karczewski - 61 - 17:42.02
- Dan Lumsden - 104 - 18:45.93
- David Addesso - 110 - 18:55.61
- Matt Tarrant - 124 - 19:31.34
The top female finishers for the Chargers, including place and time were as follows:
- Jessica Addesso - 34 - 21:14.58
- Nicolette Maselli - 40 - 21:33.53
- Samantha Wasserman - 62 - 22:40.54
- Kaysi Fajardo - 73 - 23:14.85
- Samantha Gural - 75 - 23:29.94
- Olivia Vroom - 95 - 24:13.82
- Kayla Dekovics - 114 - 25:14.13
With the regular season behind them, the boys and girls cross country teams will continue to practice in preparation for the NJSIAA Sectionals, which will be held on Saturday, November 4. The NJSIAA Sectionals will also be held at Thompson Park in Monroe Township.
The Chargers' boys cross country team was undefeated for the 2017 season and claimed the Greater Middlesex Conference White Division Championship.