SPOTSWOOD, NJ - Both the Spotswood High School boys and girls cross country teams had successful seasons last year. The boys finished with a 7-1 overall record while the girls closed out the season with a 7-2 record. Head coach, Roland D'Orvilliers is looking to build on last year's triumphs for the upcoming 2017 cross country season. Coach D as his runners call him has been at the helm of the boys cross country team for 18 years and the girls team for 16.
The two teams saw key runners depart due to graduation. Nick Toth and Anthony Bonacci have moved on on the boys' side. However, D'Orvilliers is left with a strong and experienced groups of runners, which will be a plus for the team as they look to place high at the Greater Middlesex Conference Championships as well as qualify for the NJSIAA Group Championships.
Senior Justin Dekovics is an essential component of the team and has garnered interest from the collegiate level. Dekovics was the winner of last year's annual Spotswood 5K. He along with fellow senior Rich Kraczewsk, juniors Anthony Nobile and Joseph Harold as well as sophomore Jack Welsh will anchor a team that also features the largest number of freshman athletes in Chargers' history.
On the ladies side, strong runners Cassy Raia and Kate Parlitsis graduated in June though D'Orvilliers is looking for formidable contributions from key returning runners, Nicolette Masselli and Samantha Wasserman. Kasyi Fajardo was also tapped by the coach as a key newcomer to this season's girls cross country squad.
The runners like the rest of the fall sports teams have been working hard this August to get ready for the upcoming season that opens on Saturday, September 9. The Chargers will host the Boys and Girls Varsity Invitational at Spotswood High School. The rest of the teams fall schedule is as follows:
- Tuesday, September 12 at Thompson Park against John F. Kennedy Memorial and South Plainfield High Schools
- Saturday, September 16 at Central Park of Morris County for the Boys and Girls Varsity Invitational
- Tuesday, September 19 at Thompson Park against Bishop Ahr and Perth Amboy High Schools
- Saturday, September 23 at Garrett Mountain Park for the Passaic Coaches Invitational
- Tuesday, October 3 at Community Park against North Brunswick High School
- Tuesday, October 10 at Merrill Park the girls team will take on Colonia, Metuchen and Sayreville High Schools
- Wednesdays, October 11 at Merrill Park the boys team will take on Colonia, Metuchen and Sayreville High Schools
- Saturday, October 21 at Thompson Park the Greater Middlesex Conference Championships
- Saturday, November 4 at Thompson Park the NJSIAA Sectionals
- Saturday, November 11 at Holmdel Park the NJSIAA Groups Championships
- Saturday, November 18 at Holmdel Park the NJSIAA Meet of Champions
The teams must qualify for the NJSIAA Groups Championships and runners must qualify for to compete in the NJSIAA Meet of Champions.
The boys cross country roster includes Justin Acheampong, David Addesso, Mikel Alcazar, Robert Alongi, Justin Dekovics, Dylan DeSimone, Joseph Harold, Jeremiah Hayes, Rich Karczewski, Jeremiah Lalicon, Ben Leiby, Dan Lumsden, Vinny Maselli, Anthony Nobile, Kyle Obado, Jacob Oster, Anuj Patel, Angel Perez, Kevin Platt, Blake Rears, Evan Scarduffa, Jonathan Scarduffa, Matt Tarrant, Nicholas Vitale, Jonathan Wasserman, Jack Welsh, Jack Williams, Tim Yarnall and Rupa Zimkus.
The girls cross country roster includes Jessica Addesso, Marcella Adiao, Kayla Dekovics, Hailey Flynn, Mary Fouad, Samantha Gural, Nicolette Maselli, Grace Parlitsis, Clara Robins, Lily Siglam, Olivia Vroom and Samantha Wasserman.