SPOTSWOOD, NJ - In anticipation of the first heatwave of the summer, the Spotswood Police Department announced via Nixle that cooling centers would be available over the next couple of days to help residents without air conditioning get relief from the rising temperatures and humidity.
Cooling centers are available at:
- The first floor of the Municipal Building on 77 Summerhill Road
- Office on Aging on 1 Arlington Avenue (this cooling center is available only on weekdays from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.)
- Spotswood Public Library on 548 Main Street (This cooling center is only available during business hours, which are Mondays from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m., Tuesdays, 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., Wednesdays 10 a.m. until 8 p.m., Thursdays, 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. and Fridays from 1 p.m. until 6 p.m.)
Excessive heat tends to impact young children and the elderly more quickly. Some additional heat beating tips are to:
- Stay indoors during the hottest times of the day, which is typically between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest times of the day; exercising in the early morning and evening is best.
- Be sure to stay hydrated.
- Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.
- Eat lighter meals like salads.
- Do not leave babies, children or pets inside of parked cars.
- Provide water for pets.
- Avoid using the stove and oven especially if you don't have air conditioning. Their use will heat up the house more quickly.
- If you do have to work outside, take frequent breaks in the shade if possible and drink plenty of water.