SPOTSWOOD, NJ - The borough will hold its annual Memorial Day Parade on Monday, May 28 at 2 p.m. The procession will begin at 2 p.m. at Schweitzer Mauduet on 85 East Main Street and will continue along Main Street to Devoe Avenue. It will conclude at the American Legion Post 253 on Devoe Avenue. Parade participants will begin lining up at 1 p.m. at Schweitzer. There will be a $200 prize for the best parade float. The Memorial Day Parade will be held rain or shine.
Memorial Day is a federal holiday, marking the passing of members of the armed forces that died during service. Initially, the holiday was called Decoration Day and began in 1868, following the conclusion on the American Civil War.
The following Spotswood residents lost their lives in the line of duty:
- Spc. Michael Luis Gonzalez - August 28, 2008
- Cpl. Dennis Crane - Marine Corps - June 15, 1968
- Pfc. Gary Richard Buttenbaum - Marine Corps - May 9, 1967
- Pfc. Otto (Skip) William Baumann, Jr. - Army - December 28, 1966
- Pfc. James Brooks Heffron - Marine Corps - August 31, 1966
- Fireman First Class, Willard O. Clark - Navy - May 28, 1945
- Seaman Second Class Reese David Eaton - Navy - October 25, 1942
- Sgt. Walter Burgess - Army - WW2
- Pvt. Rosairo DeStefano - Army - WW2
- Edward Koch, Jr. - WW2