SAYREVILLE, NJ - The Spotswood High School varsity wrestling team went head-to-head with Sayreville, Edison and South River High Schools on Saturday in a multi-team quad. Spotswood came away with one victory and two losses. The Chargers defeated South River 60-18, but lost to host Sayreville 53-24 and to Edison High School 46-28.
Matt Bohinski, Steve Melillo, Madden Obado and Zach Weiner were the Chargers' winners against Edison while Bohinski, Thomas Perpente, Tony Caron and Weiner won against Sayreville. Bohinski and Weiner were the only Spotswood wrestlers to win all three of their matches on Saturday.
The results of the victory over South River including weight class and results are as follows:
- 106 Stephen Boszak (South River) over Madden Obado (Spotswood) on a fall
- 113 Joseph Lepore (South River) over Thomas Perpente (Spotswood) on a 9-6 decision
- 120 Tony Caron (Spotswood) by forfeit
- 126 Yash Goswami (Spotswood) over Isa McMillan on a fall
- 132 Dan Pratas (Spotswood) by forfeit
- 138 Zach Weiner (Spotswood) over John Orellanna (South River) on a fall
- 145 Jack Conrad (South River) by forfeit
- 152 Connor Johnson (Spotswood) over Gabriel Figueroa (South River) on a fall
- 160 Kevin Platt (Spotswood) by forfeit
- 170 Bill Schwemmer (Spotswood) over Anthony Faccin (South River) on a fall
- 182 Matt Bohinski (Spotswood) over Jesus Osorio (South River) on a fall
Spotswood's overall record moved to 6-8 after the weekend quad. The Chargers are back on the mat on Tuesday when the team travels to Keansburg High School. This is the first meeting between the two teams. Keansburg has an overall record of 3-3 and is 2-2 in their last four outings. Matches begin at 5 p.m.