MILLTOWN, NJ - The borough's annual Fourth of July festivities will have a different look for 2020 because of the coronavirus pandemic. Milltown's Fourth of July Committee announced the cancellation of the events drawing large crowds such as the Firecracker 5K and Fun Run, the parade and the evening fireworks display last month. Instead, the borough has planned events on a smaller scale, keeping social interaction to a minimum.
All virtual events on the Fourth of July can be viewed live on Milltown's Channel 15 or YouTube. The following is a schedule of the events the Milltown Fourth of July Committee has on tap for Friday, July 4:
- 9 a.m. - Virtual flag raising by Milltown Boy Scout Troop 33, the singing of the National Anthem by Rosie Monaghan and a July 4 welcome address by Milltown Mayor Trina Mehr.
- 10 a.m. - Virtual concert by Highland Park's popular kid musician mr. Ray.
- 11 a.m. Virtual concert by the Milltown Marching Band.
- Noon through 3 p.m. - Residents can watch Uncle Sam travel around Milltown courtesy of the Milltown Fire Department and Milltown Rescue Squad. Uncle Sam will be visiting the borough's homes and businesses dressed up in red, white and blue.
- 9 p.m. Light up the Sky - Residents are asked to hold flashlights up to the sky when they hear the fire whistle and bang pots and pans for two minutes until a second fire whistle sounds. Then, Milltown is asked to keep their eyes in the skies for a July 4 surprise.
The Milltown Fourth of July Committee will be planning some additional July 4 fun around the borough as the day draws near. There is still time for residents to enter the first-ever Patriotic Pizza Pie contest and pre-order their 2020 Fourth of July commemorative tees. Details about the Patriotic Pie contest and ordering shirts is available on the Milltown Fourth of July webpage.
Runners may not be able to lace up their sneakers for the annual Milltown Firecracker 5K on July 4, but they can do a virtual race. Participants can register online up to July 4 and run or walk a 5K in their hometown, Milltown or the location of their choice. The registration fees will go to help fund the charities, local organization and programs supported by Our Lady of Lourdes and the Milltown Knights of Columbus.
Registration is $25 for the virtual 5K and $5 for the virtual Fun Run. Virtual 5K participants also get a collectable t-shirt. T-shirts can be purchased for $17 also.