SPOTSWOOD, NJ - The Memorial Middle School held its eighth grade graduation ceremony virtually on Monday, June 22. Normally, the school holds the ceremony in the Spotswood High School Gymnasium on the evening before the final day of the academic year. However, due to the coronavirus pandemic, this year's ceremony for the Class of 2020 was held virtually via a YouTube link sent to parents on the day of the ceremony. Unlike other districts, Memorial is not holding an outdoor, in person ceremony.
Memorial Principal Brian Kitchin got the virtual ceremony started with a short introductory speech. A video montage of photographs showcased many Memorial students at various school-sponsored events, sports and classroom activities throughout their three years in middle school.
Memorial valedictorian Olivia Adiao also gave a short speech during the 45-minute ceremony. Adiao spoke of her time at Memorial as well as the impact the coronavirus crisis had on the final year of middle school for herself and her classmates. At the end of her speech, Adiao wished the Class of 2020 well with all of their "future endeavors."
Memorial Language Arts teacher Kristen Rice read off all the names of the eighth grade members of the National Junior Honor Society. Eighth grade advisor Jamie Mahoney spoke to the graduates as well from her backyard at home before this year's awards winners were announced.
The following students received awards for their accomplishments at Memorial:
- Lilliam Mortimer Award for the highest scholastic average in all subjects - Olivia Adiao
- Spotswood Education Award for the second highest scholastic average for the year - Kate Acheampong
- Mathematics Honors Award - Cyanne Chan
- Language Arts Literacy Honors Award - Olivia Adiao
- Science Honors Award - Kate Acheampong
- Social Studies Honors Award - Anatasia Awadalla
- Physical Education Honors Award - James Curnal and Camryn Snyder
- Band Honors Award - Jenna Agostisi and Camryn Snyder
- Chorus Honors Award - Victoria O'Halloran and Savahan Rosario
- Spanish Honors Award - Olivia Adiao and Andrew Capran
- National Junior Honor Society Award (sponsored by the Spotswood PTA) - Kayla Louis
- Fine Arts Award (sponsored by the Spotswood PTA) Music - Andrew Capran and Cyanne Chan Art - Corinne Lecorchick and Jesse Mackey
- President's Award for Outstanding Academic Excellence- Olivia Adiao, Jenna Agostisi, Anatasia Awadalla, Andrew Capran, Cyanne Chan and Camryn Snyder
- President's Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement - Kate Acheampong, Aidan Collins, Jacqueline Genthe, Noelle Lewis, Salvatore Lewis, Tyler Quesnel, Robert Waldman and Emily Wallace
- Scholar Athlete Award (sponsored by the Knights of Columbus) - Halie Coffey and Benjamin Palmer
- Most Involved Award (sponsored by Spotswood Borough) - Gabriella Spinale and Victoria Ziegler
Next, the names of all 113 graduates were read along with awards earned for each academic class. Students could earn individual awards in Language Arts, Math, Science and History if they finished the academic year with an A average. The virtual ceremony concluded with a series of photos featuring the graduates alongside of their baby pictures. Parents were invited to submit a baby picture of their graduate earlier in the school year for the yearbook.
Congratulations to Memorial's Class of 2020:
Kate Acheampong, Thomas Adamcewicz, Olivia Adiao, Jenna Agostisi, Jonah Anis, Anastasia Awadalla, Jianna Bardowell, Emmalyn Barre, Ethan Bennett, Brandon Bolger, Donald Borst, Hanna Brown, Niejahleene Cajuste, Andrew Capran, Cyanne Chan, Kyle Chigas, Jakob Cifuentes, Gabriella Coello, Angelica Coffey, Halie Coffey, Aidan Collins, Natalia Colon, James Curnal, Mikayla Dent, Andrew Dittmyre, Diego Dos Santos, Chantel Edwards, Youssef Elmasri, Kylie Fecskovics, Samantha Fink, Richard Floystrop, Steven Franco, Juliana Fulinello, Michael Furey, Donovan Gallagher, Jacqueline Genthe, Sophia Gerstein, Nicolena Giddis, Mark Girgis, Davon Grant, Josten Hanna, Autumn Harper, Marco Hatzistefanis, Cassidy Herman, Tyler Herman, Collin Jackson, John Jaworoski, Paul Kardos, Maggie Keelen, Hamza Khattak, Sara Koscinski, Jazzmine Kurtz, Katelyn Larsen, Nicholas Larys, Corinne Lecorchick, Aleksander Lemanski, Nagee Lewis, Noelle Lewis, Salvatore Lewis, Kayla Louis, Fiona Lowenfels, Minh-Trang Luong, Jesse Mackey, Samantha Maldonado, Aaron Marcano, Steven Mastrolonardo, Mikayla McQueen, Alyssa Metz, Corey Miller, Hailey Miller, Anthony Mooney, Wayne Mullaney, Evelyn Nabil, Marissa Nardino, Samantha Nason, Victoria O'Halloran, Shane Opinski, Aidan Oross, Jorden Oster, Benjamin Palmer, Claudia Paradysz, Nathaniel Peck-Garcia, Colin Pfeiffer, Tyler Quesnel, Alexis Quinones, Mateo Rivera, Nia Robinson, Savanah Rosario, Jahonna Sadler, Maxyne Schatten, Sadie Shatten, Dean Sharaf, James Sheehan, John Slater, Harley Smith-Havens, Camryn Snyder, Dean Soper, Gabriella Spinale, Michael Spirra, Joseph Squillante, Shane Thaisz, Ava Tripodi, Vanessa Velez, Annabella Waldman, Robert Waldman, Karess Walker, Kiye Walker, Emily Wallace, Olivia Williams, David Worden, Nicholas Zaboreny, Jessica Zhang and Victoria Ziegler.