SPOTSWOOD/HELMETTA, NJ - As holiday decorations begin coming down, the Spotswood Public Works Department starts Christmas tree collections on Friday, January 3. Tree collections will continue in January on Friday, January 10 and Friday, January 17. Trees should not be placed in plastic bags. Residents should remember to remove all lights, ornaments, garland, tinsel, tree stands and other decorative items before placing trees curbside.
According to the Middlesex County Improvement Authority, other holiday decorations that have outlived their usefulness should be disposed of in the following manner:
- Artificial trees should be thrown away with regular trash.
- Christmas wreaths whether real or artificial should be placed in with regular garbage.
- Packing peanuts, ribbon, tinsel and other holiday decorations should be placed in with regular trash.
- Gift boxes can be flattened and placed in the mixed paper recycling bin.
- Cardboard shipping boxes should be flattened, bundled and tied for recycling pickup.
- Holiday greeting cards can be placed in the mixed paper recycling bin.
- Any broken lights or ornaments should be placed with regular trash.