SPOTSWOOD, NJ - Spotswood School District Superintendent Graham Peabody announced last week that the district would be resuming its tradition of inducting an Athletic Hall of Fame Class for Spotswood High School. The tradition began in 2004 when Peabody became the district's athletic director. With the help of an Inaugural Hall of Fame Committee that included Thomas Barlow, Marianne Boszko, Gary Dominicus, Doreen Gibbons, David Hayes, Frank Kardashian, Charles Legg, Ken Logan, Ron Mazzola, Mike Pavlichko, Jean Puff, Rev. Robert Scott, John Shaughnessy and Thomas Weaver, the Spotswood High School Athletic Hall of Fame inducted its first class in the fall of 2005. The committee gave the spring of 2005 as the nomination deadline.
The inaugural class was officially inducted into the Spotswood High School Athletic Hall of Fame on September 29, 2005 at a special banquet at the Spotswood American Legion Hall. Eight athletes and two contributors were inducted. The group was then honored at halftime of the Chargers/Rams game that season. The 2005 class included:
- Vicky Dutka - track and field, 1986-1990
- Charlie Eibeler - basketball and football, 1991-1995
- Tracie Fryzowicz Smith - soccer and track and field, 1986-1990
- Cheryl Keller Capon Ph.D - cross country and track and field, 1986-1989
- Kevin Kobylinski - baseball and basketball, 1982-1986
- Jason Konek - basketball, soccer and track and field, 1987-1991
- Drew Scopelliti - basketball and wrestling, 1976-1979
- Eugene Zimmerlink - basketball and football, 1977-1981
- Coach Joseph DiMario - football and wrestling coach
- Coach Bruce Nissenbaum - cross country coach
The next class of athletes and contributors was inducted two years later on October 27, 2007 at the Milltown American Legion. The group was then honored at the Chargers/Middlesex game later that week. From 23 nominations, the Hall of Fame Committee chose five athletes and two contributors. The 2007 class of the Spotswood High School Athletic Hall of Fame included:
- Dan Fredricks - baseball and basketball, Class of 1997
- Justin Legg - football, track and field and wrestling, Class of 1996
- Scott Marhold - football and wrestling, Class of 1990
- Jennifer Sahli - cross country and track and field, Class of 1988
- Andrew Scott - baseball, Class of 1997
- Michael Pavlichko - PA announcer for athletic games
- Thomas Weaver - football and track and field coach
After a 12 year absence, the next class of the Spotswood High School Athletic Hall of Fame will be inducted in the fall of 2020. Bringing back the Chargers Athletic Hall of Fame was one of the goals of Spotswood's newest Athletic Director Michael Del Aversano. Del Aversano was approved by the Spotswood Board of Education in July and replaced longtime AD William Visokay. Visokay retired at the conclusion of the 2018-19 school year.
Nominations for the 2020 Class will be accepted through March 1. Nomination forms can be downloaded and returned to Del Aversano. Athletic nominees must have graduated 10 years prior to the fall 2020 induction to be considered for theSpotswood High School Athletic Hall of Fame's Class of 2020 while contributor nominees must have worked in the position they are being nominated for for at least five years.
Questions about the nomination process can be emailed to Del Aversano at firstname.lastname@example.org. The members of the new Hall of Fame Committee have not been announced.