SPOTSWOOD, NJ - Spotswood High School varsity football team's 2019 schedule includes four Friday night games under the lights. After a dismal 1-9 2018 season, the Chargers will be looking to rebound. The team's only win last fall was a 21-6 victory over Metuchen High School. The 2019 Chargers varsity football schedule is as follows:
- Saturday, September 7 against Hillside High School at the Spotswood High School Stadium at 1 p.m
- Saturday, September 14 against South River High School at the Spotswood High School Stadium at 1 p.m.
- Friday, September 20 against Bernards High School in Bernardsville at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, September 28 against Highland Park High School at 1 p.m. at the Spotswood High School Stadium
- Friday, October 4 against Middlesex High School at 7 p.m. in Middlesex
- Saturday, October 12 against Metuchen High School at 1 p.m. at the Spotswood High School Stadium
- Friday, October 18 against Dunellen High School at 7 p.m. at Columbia Park in Dunellen
- Saturday, October 26 against Roselle High School at 1 p.m. at Rahway River Park in Rahway
- Friday, November 1 against Thomas Aquainas High School at 7 p.m. in Edison
The Chargers have three scrimmages in August to help prepare for the September 7 season opener with Hillside. Hillside was 11-1 in 2018 and won the Mid-State 38-Valley conference with a 4-0 division record. Spotswood finished fifth out of six teams in the Greater Middlesex Conference Gold Division last fall with a 1-4 conference record. Metuchen was last with a winless division record.