JAMESBURG, NJ - With a winter chill in the air on Saturday, the Spotswood High School cross country team participated in the NJSIAA Group One Sectionals at Thompson Park. The top seven varsity runners competed in a field that included other group one schools throughout the state. Point Pleasant Beach High School's Robert Hannon won the boys race with a time of 16:25.8 and Henry Hudson Regional High School's Corina Vidal took first for the girls with a time of 18:59.5.
In order to qualify for the NJSIAA Group Championships at Holmdel Park on Saturday, November 16, runners had to finish in the top 15. The top five schools also move on to the group championships. The Chargers' boys cross country team came in sixth behind Shore Regional, New Providence, Middlesex, Highland Park and Delaware Valley High Schools to conclude their season. Spotswood's girls cross country team came in fourth place behind New Providence, Shore Regional and Delaware Valley High Schools to move on to next weekend's group championship. Point Pleasant Beach High School also made the cut to run on Saturday.
Matthew Rios was the Chargers highest male finisher. Rios came in 24th with a time of 18:53.4. Isabella Peveto was the girls team's highest finisher. Peveto was also 24 th with a time of 22:44.1. The complete list of Spotswood runners including place and time is as follows:
- Isabella Peveto - 24th - 22:44.1
- Ava Perex - 28th - 23:12.0
- Kaysi Fajardo - 32nd - 23:39.3
- Madison Medina - 33rd - 23:40.8
- Meaghan Bicsko - 34th - 23:44.1
- Nina Plowucha - 36th - 23:58.5
- Kaitlyn Todd - 60th - 27:39.5
- Matthew Rios - 24th - 18:53.4
- Tim Yarnall - 35th - 19:16.9
- Kyle Obado - 37th - 19:22.5
- Anuj Patel - 40th - 19:26.5
- Robert Alongi - 44th - 19:37.1
- Hari Nair - 61st - 20:31.9
- Rupa Zimkus - 62nd - 20:32.5
Spotswood High School will honor all of its fall athletes on Wednesday at the annual Fall Sports Banquet at 6:30 p.m. at the Spotswood High School Gymnasium.