PALMYRA, NJ - The Spotswood High School varsity wrestling team won their second-ever state match on Monday, defeating Palmyra High School 44-27 to move on in the NJSIAA Central Jersey Group One Sectional Tournament. Spotswood was the fifth seed in the tournament and knocked out the fourth seeded Panthers to move on in the tournament. The Chargers will take on top-seeded Point Pleasant Beach in the semifinals.
The turning point of the meet came at the 145-pound matchup when Spotswood's Jacob Oster pinned Jess Domask for the win. Oster was only seconds away from losing the match on a decision. His victory changed the match's momentum as the Chargers then went on to win the next five out of six matchups in the contest.
The results from Monday's victory over Palmyra including weight class and results are as follows:
- 106 George Marakis (Spotswood) over Alec Glynn (Palmyra) by a 3-1 decision
- 113 Thomas Perpente (Spotswood) over Danica Haines (Palmyra) by a 20-5 technical fall
- 120 Jonathan Miles (Palmyra) over Tony Caron (Spotswood) by a fall
- 126 Kitwana Nguyen (Palmyra) over Yash Goswami (Spotswood) by a 7-6 decision
- 132 Zach Weiner (Spotswood) over Camerom Woodward (Palmyra) by a fall
- 145 Jacob Oster (Spotswood) over Jesse Domask (Palmyra) by a fall
- 152 Connor Johnson (Spotswood) over Juell Anthony (Palmyra) by a fall
- 160 Patrick McCarron (Palmyra) over Bill Schwemmer (Spotswood) by a fall
- 170 Matt Bohinski (Spotswood) over Salvador Oilvares (Palmyra) by a fall
- 182 Nick Andre (Spotswood) over Lucas Moritz (Palmyra) by a fall
- 195 Steve Melillo (Spotswood) over Josh Murphy (Palmyra) by a fall
- 220 Tyler Domask (Palmyra) over Anthony Varga (Spotswood) by a 7-3 decision
- 285 Zachary Kahana (Palmyra) over Bob Wehrle (Spotswood) by a 5-0 decision
Spotswood won its first-ever state match last winter when the Chargers defeated New Egypt High School. The Chargers then lost in the semifinals to Shore Regional High School who was last year's Central Jersey Group One's top seed. Spotswood faces Point Pleasant Beach on Wednesday. in the semifinals. The Gulls defeated Highland Park on Monday 58-18 and have a 16-4-1 overall record. Matches begin at 6 p.m. at Point Pleasant Beach High School. Weigh-ins start at 4:30 p.m.